Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) | Origin: ED130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder --> Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The condition was given different terms during earlier periods of time.  The terminology use with an understanding of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) has evolved.  World War I, World War II, Vietnam War, Desert Storm and the Iraq War had a role in the study of PTSD as military personnel were in war and returned from was.  Reseach lead to psychologist studying the impact of war on the soldier.  Today the scientific knowledge of PTSD broaden the realization of the truism.  PTSD is recognized as a ligitimate mental disorder.

The student in a clinical environment must meet the approved objectives by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psych Technicians (BVNPT). This requires participation and contributions to their educational process.  As the clinical instructor, monitoring the student for demonstration of difficulty participating could put the resident at risk.

As a nursing instructor, having compassion or empathy for someone with PTSD is understood.  However, the expectation in the nursing profession should be to handle stressful situations and maintain the ability to function.  To remain in a nursing program and handling the stress would be a requirement.  Each student with PTSD would need to me evaluated prior to taking care of residents. 

Note: This is my opinion. This is not something I'm aware that is being implemented.

I would be interested to review other persons comments regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Kathy

I understand the evolution of research concerning PTSD and that it's not just something affecting Veterans.  I have read a book titled "Tribe," written by Sebastian Junger.  His approach to PTSD doesn't necessarily attribute PTSD to the specific experience.  When discussing Veterans, his approach is from the perspective of returning to normal society and not having that "Tribal" sense of belonging.  Military members are team members based on job assignment, whether by choice or needs of a specific billet.  As a Submarine Veteran, I could not begin to identify with the experiences of a combat vet, but nor could they identify with what my experience was onboard a submarine.  Both come with their inherent risks and responsibilities, as well as their own means of adaptation.  From my own personal experience, I didn't feel affected by these experiences once I separated from military service, but I went on to be employed by the government at a facility that I had previously served at while enlisted.  After almost 20 years away from where I grew up, I decided to return home to be closer with my family.  I understand a bit more clearly where my return home left me with the same feelings and thoughts because I was no longer surrounded by those with which I had served.  The lack of connection with that community is where my struggle really hit home.  My decision to move home was almost 10 years from the time of separation from the Navy.  Sebastian's book was reccommended to me by a good friend also dealing with the same issues as I was.  I believe that those in the general public without military service can't begin to imagine the struggle that our returning service members experience by returning to "normal life" after having served in the military.  The bond you form with those in the same environment as you is something that can't be understood if you haven't experienced it for yourself.

As a Special Services Coordinator, most of my students fall into the realm of varying degrees of PTSD, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed.  By developing my own skills and techniques to adequately address their needs, I am helping them develop coping skills. I have spent hours researching and reading about both PTSD and C-PTSD. I have come to the conclusion there are few if any of us who have not experienced trauma in some capacity. It is interesting to learn about the history of PTSD and that it was not only misdiagnosed, but also underdiagnosed for years. As the medical field (in relation to psychiatry) continues to evolve, I suspect more research will be done on this topic. This in turn, will benefit all.

This part of the module clearly defined about PTSD , Also its prevalence. It also identified  the predisposing factors .We get sometimes students and patients having PTSD so it's possible to telate to them.

I didnt even know anything about tell i started reading about it

I knew adults could be diagnosed with PTSD, but I had no idea about how many children get diagnosed. I found it interesting that 26% of children in the US will experience a traumatic event before the age of 4. By experiencing a traumatic event, these children are 76% more likely to have a delay in their development. Not every child that has been through a traumatic exerpience will be diagnosed with PTSD, but it was insane how many young children experience such traumatic experiences. 

It was difficult to read the statistics of preschool/elementary children and middle/high school students who experience trauma.  Also, how many of those that it leads to PTSD.  Finally, the 76% likelihood of delays with those who experience traumas by 3rs. old.

Very interesting, I can totally relate to this as I myself was very physically abused as a child.  Never knew there was help for this but did know I had a difficult time learning in my younger years.  As I got older I somehow knew I simply had to try harder.  I will say that with God and faith not sure where I would be but this really gave me a learning experience to become a much better person.  I learned that there is always an up side to just about everything.  Yes the memories are always there, this is true and still hard to talk about at times.

I learned a lot

It seems to me it is a subject of great importance in todays world. It is something that is continually evolving.

PTSD has been known by a number of other names.

PTSD results from various types of trauma, not just trauma on the battlefield.

I deal with a student population with an extremely high risk of PTSD. I found it interesting that the the driving factor which led to the currnt understanding of PTSD was driven by war time occurrences.

This gives me a much deeper understanding of so many of the students I work with and what they are coming into the classroom with. 

I find it interesting how the definition of PTSD has changed over the years. I am so happy that it is now taken very seriously. The stats on children under the age of 5 suffering from PTSD is alarming.

I've worked with students in residential treatment and other educational settings for numerous years. While PTSD is easily acquired, its resolution isn't simple. I remain frustrated by the tendency for some individuals who grapple with their trauma to be very comfortable with a victim identity. As I read the part of the discussion of family responses to traumatized members and PTSD, I immediately came to a place of reinforcement of a current situation with a former student whose family of origin sees the person as 'broken' and therefore the individual characterizes themself as 'crippled' - despite therapy, despite medication, despite access to positive coping stragegies, and behavioral management supports. The identity as permanently damaged is more comfortable than the work and energy required to heal. It's disheartening, honestly. 

I hope better treatments and ultimately that maturation and the desire to engage in life overcome this. I realize there is a need to accept mental health issues as real and I do. I simply don't know what else to do with this situation - other than to realize all I can do is all I can do.

I have family members who suffer greatly from PTSD. One in particular is my cousin who cannot even enjoy holidays like Independence Day, and is cautious about attending simple events like races or baseball games that may have fireworks. The explosive sounds induce feelings of unease and I have witnessed that he becomes physically ill-looking. So this particular course hits very close to home for me. I am glad that we recognize it as something we need to be cautious and considerate of.

I am glad that they have more properly identified PTSD for what it is and have a better idea of how to help people now. It is hard to not think of specific people when reading things like this.

I'm glad we've made advances in our understanding of PTSD and how to treat it.

Sign In to comment