Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The statistics are overwhelming. Knowing that it can happen to anyone at any age, race and gender, as educators we are mindful and can help students seek professional help, be more empathetic and patient. And as state in the article that sometimes we experience drama and we do even know it. Learning about it will also help us recognize if we are experiencing it ourselves or if our love ones are going thru it or not. 

PTSD can affect us all in some way.

I knew that PTSD was a common occurrence in our society but I had no idea it was as prevalent as it is. It is good to know that we, as a society, are starting to take it more seriously.

Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD), in educational environment may reflect in a learner response that is hypervigilant to protect from any pain that could be associated with triggers. during time on spending time slated for achievement of education. PTSD could be related to physical, emotional childhood or during adulthood the abusive behaviors that may not have been assessed or diagnosed in our diverse student population. Some students may isolate themselves to protect them from further stress that associate them with their past experiences. Student learner peer groups may distort and manipulate the responses, of PTSD suffering learner and inflict emotional pain with or without intent.  

In instructor role, through appropriate therapeutic communication, in non judgmental manner a SBAR tool could be used fro cause root analysis to assess the situation, background, assessment . A PTSD learner, often may adopt a defense mechanism to cope with the sporadic poking, gossiping by non PTSD learners. A student with PTSD, in a learner role, may see all the efforts in vain to achieve the desired education, when the group has non acceptance of such student.

In this module I learn that PTSD can come in any form at any age if someone goes through a traumatic event in their life time. My goal is to become a support system for those students that have PTSD. I will have more one-on-ones with this student to just check in and see how things are going them. 

PTSD blanket has gotten extremely large. Good to know.

This helped with my understandings of different types of PTSD there are out there. I'm glad it is always being updated, so it helps us be more aware if and when it is present. It can make such a huge impact on someone's life when it is treated or sought out.

I took notes while taking this part of the course. What I found interesting was the  5.2 million adults that may develop PTSD. I learned about the various military terms used for PTSD and their evolution of terms. Realizing that there is a lot of childhood trauma is saddening. When I think about the generations today, they are being more coddled which I think in my opinion is leading to more trauma. There is a higher divorce rate now than before which leads to these traumatic events in children and young adults. High school can be difficult for some while for others it is fun experience. As going through this module, one can see that if trauma begins in early childhood, it could continue on into adulthood which makes it difficult to cope and become functional without help.

This gives me a better understanding of PTSD and how I can help my students suffering from the issues that may arise from this.

Sign In to comment