Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PTSD was originally thought to be a result of a physical event. Over time the definition has changed, and it was added to the DSM and labeled as PTSD within the last 30 years. As we continue to learn more about PTSD, and its effects on individuals, we as educators will be able to implement additional strategies to help our students and level the playing field for them with their peers who have not experienced trauma. 

PTSD results from a terrifying event that one encounters, there are some situations that a person has endured that trigger them back to the event that causes the PTSD. The more we learn and understand PTSD we as educators can better help a student that experiences this. It is important to educate ourselves to better understand what ones goes through. 

Even though I am knowledgible about PTSD as a psychiatric nurse and course study in Trauma counseling, I gained new insights into the prevalence statistically of those groups from children to adults who hae experienced some type of trauma.  The origins of the past definitions of those behaviors was beneficial. Lastly, I was glad to see that research has caught up with the behavor which demystifies those experiencing PTSD.  

On a personal note, my daddy was a WW2 veterance who lost the tipe of his finger with schrapnel.  At the end stage of his life in hospice, he fell out of the bed.  I asked him how did that happen.  His response was he was getting ready to jump from his jeep into the jeep of a German deep and in midstream he realize he was in a dream and at that point fell.  

I recall how he used to toss and turn in his bed and we were told as children not to go up to his face, but touch his toes to wake him up. I am glad we have these courses that gives insights to better serve this population. 

Any vet thank you for your service.

The evolution of the PTSD diagnosis was interesting.  I'm glad the APA finally included it and revised it.  Hopefully they will add something more directed to children soon since PTSD in children often manifests as behavioral disorders and defiance, learning disabilities, ADD or ADHD, etc...Just stuff I know from my own research.

As an instructor I have had numerous students with PTSD and learning to identify them, empathize with them, and direct them to the available help is essential for their success.  The best book I have found on the topic is: The Body Keeps the Score:  Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk MD.  It's a fantastic book and I have recommended it numerous times (all with good feedback) to Veteran's Coordinators and students with PTSD.  

These children who experienced early childhood trauma and even those who came from war, are generally disturbed. They have difficulty of concentration. However, I have observed that they also show obsessive compulsive behavior.

The way resarch has evolved in understanding PTSD and how to recognize the signs of the condition as to deal with it with understanding and empathy. 

The understanding of PTSD continues to evolve.  The more that is understood about this situation, the more successful the treatment can become.  From reading this information, I've broadened my definition of trauma.  The number of children affected was alarming.  

I beleive most of my students that I have taught struggle in this area. I am thankful for the useful instruction

Reply to Marjorie Ungar's post: Likewise this module truly broaden our knowledge about PTSD

PTSD is far more common than I originally thought.

There is a long history of PTSD in our society but only recently have we begun to understand the impact of trauma and how it effects children and adults. One part of the reading that resonated with me was the tendency for family members to overcompensate or enable people with PTSD by treating them as if they are disabled. I think this plays out in the classroom when teachers have lower expectations for students because they are aware of a student's PTSD or traumatic experiences. While it is important to have compassion and to create environments where students from all backgrounds and experiences can feel safe and nurtured, it is also important to maintain high expectations for students, to communicate them clearly, and to show students that they are capable of great things. This is part of the healing process for students whose education has been disrupted by trauma in their lives.

PTSD is not something I thoroughly understood until I was put into different combat situations myself. I may have briefly read about the effects in a sentence or two in history books throughout school. I do appreciate the fact that there is a larger focus on this disorder throughout our country and that there are different channels to help people to reach out and connect to try to develop as to how to live with it. The thing I find most frustrating is people who have not experienced trauma or similar situations in which has caused the effects don't seem to fully grasp the entirety of the disorder. 

I'VE  learned suicide could be a huge cause in suicided, alcoholism,not being able to focus etc,etc

ive learned that ptsd is a bigger problem than i realized, and it doesnt only affect former or active military. i also learned that many children experience traumatic events in their lives at a young age that can cause ptsd.

This is very informative and to learn not only solders returning from combat have PTSD but so can every human experience it.

PTSD comes in many forms and affects everyone differently. Knowing a little about what the person has been through would defenatly help understand how to avoid triggers and keep them calm.

PTSD has many different ways it can impact a victim and their families

PTSD was classified as several disorders in prior times. I learned to accomodate and work with, and understand students who come into class who may have PTSD and how to work with them.

Through the years the variances and different forms of PTSD have been more openly exposed.  I deal with this quite often being as I instruct alot of former and current military personel. When people have issues they commonly come forward and discuss their needs.  This enables me to better serve their individual needs.

I am an old Vietnam combat vet, came back on a Red Cross plane, spent time in a Military Hospital. Had no idea why I spent 10-years bouncing jobs, relationships, and mostly drunk. Now been with the same Saint (wife) for 47-years. She had a rough go of it, but we both stayed faithful. There was minimal acknowlegement of the Vet's problems, until about the 1st Gulf War. Lost many friends and old classmates to booze, drugs, or suidcide. Ihave come a really long way in my never-ending journey to become "normal" HA!. Having said all this, I think I am now at a place in my life where I an relate quickly with students with symptions, and actually help them succeed. Life certainly hold surprises, it is up to all of us to help others.

Sign In to comment