Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rick,
yes, this group really loves the connections to life outside of the classroom.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find that anything that creates cross reference to a topic works best. i.e Explanation, demonstration and most importantly practical application.

I've really embraced shorter lectures interspersed with small group work, where the students can research a topic or debate a class theory, or even come up with potential test and quiz questions after learning about a particular topic. I also enjoy letting the students use whatever personal electronic devices they have to do in-class research, mostly because it's easier to keep them focused and engaged if they're there with me, instead of in the library after class. In addition to the tech use and small group work in class, I also use the online student portal to post questions and topics in a forum discussion, which appeals to the more introverted Gen Yers.

As an auto instructor I like to have parts for the students to handle while I lecture.

Dorothy,
these are great methods as they help encourage critical thinking as well as learning the material.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Strategy that works in a trade school environment is having actual parts that are supporting the topic. These parts plus my experiences in the field keeps the students engaged .

Discussing field experience get them excited about learning.

I agree. I have alot of information to give but hands on training is also critical. They have to train manually not just with thumbs (texting). Since they are graded on many different skills and information they cannot cheat on all parts.

Hands on---

Example if you want to teach them math teach them to use a 3D program.

Teach them to measure a room with a ruler- in their hand.

Throw a jar of bolts on their desk and tell them to sort the metric vs SAE bolts into piles of like bolts.

Do the weirdest things you can and try to stay away from gadgets. They have gadgets in their hand 24/7 you don't have to use gadgets to "Fit in". They see the phoniness of it right away. They lack social skills- talk to them. You posting something to a forum to discuss a topic does nothing to improve their social skills. They type 10000000 word per sec on a 10 button phone all day. You wont win.

Group work is something that often works well with Gen Y students because they are able to interact socially while getting work done. Also, being able to use technology in the classroom to assist the exploration and research process while breaking lecture up into smaller chunks to allow them to engage in that exploration and not get bored with long lectures.

My school has adopted a weekly evaluation of each student to give them a more time sensitive feedback, helping their instant desire.

Some strategies that have work for me in the classroom with Gen Y students is to allow them to look up information on the Internet in class. Occassionally I will allow them to use their cell phones in class that may have some latest Apps on them that can be related to a discussion topic. Also, all the test and exams that I give in class now are on-line and self-graded, so the students know immediately what thero grades are.

I have to agree with you. I just gave a test today, and the comments were similar to every test I give. They all asked if they could use their notes, if they could use formula sheets, etc... They don't see the value in learning to understand, but simply want to be ensured a good grade. I do not allow them to use any materials.

That is specifically the reason why I do not allow my students to use their phone during an exam. They must have a calculator and cannot touch their smartphones.

I agree. My students tend to do very poorly because they will not study for an open book test. If I time it and give them clear expectations is works better. I only give them 10 more minutes for the open book test. This requires them to still study, but gives them the opportunity to look up the questions they do not remember the content on.

We use study guides and I am finding that the different generations of students use those guides in different ways. The Gen Y students tend to listen to lecture and use the study guides in the place of reading the text. Prior to our program handing out study guides, the Gen Y students grades were average, now I can say that they have greatly improved.

I have used open book testing, but test scores were nothing to write home about. The students thought this was going to be easy, so they didn't even look at the book to find different sections to look for specific topics and therefore the answers.

I agree with this completely. The benefit of the value of balance between critical thinking and research to support or formulate that thinking is an essential part of future success of a Gen y'er.

I think that the main strategy that has worked for me is taking it down a notch. Simplifying the course material, engaging the students in a conversational way, asking them gently to exert the effort outside of class -- or even during if that is the only time they can find away from other activities.

Gen Y are a product of their environment and view the world very different than past generations. They are media driven but have many good qualities. They view school as work, so we must treat them as workers. They like to multi-task and it must have meaning and importance. Team building is important, as well as challenging them to use their technological skills.

Sign In to comment