Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That's a great idea I will try.

Pamela,
I have found this to be the case too. I've also found that it has forced me to be better prepared as I can't just pull out the old notes & ppt every time.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Some strategies that have worked for me is the small group assignments; wether this is an in class assignment, handout or group project. They work better in getting things done and the stronger students help and explain to the slower students in the group, not just doing the work but actually expalining why and how they got the answers. I also break up lecture with discussion and incorporate hands on visuals or technology. In my classroom I am able to bring in and utilize many resources through the internet and some resources they can touch and feel. This keeps the lecture engaging and allows multi-tasking throughout the classroom.

Leigh,
group work can be a powerful learning tool & is also good preparation for the work environment.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Keeping lectures short and conducting a fast paced class has worked best for me. My Gen Y students always tell me they prefer my teaching style over other instructors who tend to move at a slower rate.

melanie,
that's very interesting, thank you for sharing this learning.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Thank you. Your tips and strategies are very helpful.

I teach environmental science and I show them interesting educational videos on You Tube. They seem to enjoy the ones that incorporate humor into the overall explanation of the various subjects presented in the videos.

Overall, I always find ways to incorporate humor into the classroom. It keps them interested and they enjoy the class more. This adds to their overall learning.

I incorporate various techniques to keep the Gen Y student engaged in their learning process.

1. Small group discussions of content taught in class using case scenarios about things they may encounter in the work place.
2. Small group teaching presentations. Students work in groups of 4 or 5 and research topics. They then present the topics to their peers in class.
3. A field trip to a hospital (nursing students) where they can actually see what I am teaching in theory class as well as interact with certain equipment.
4. I have multiple ways to assess their learning. I have 4 exams per term, an application paper, and a teaching presentation. I post their grades on all of these as soon as possible along with their cummulative grades. Yes, feedback ASAP is very important to this generation of students.
5. I use the internet in the classroom and they seem to really like the You Tube videos I show as well.
6. Variety in teaching methods during a class has helped me to keep most of these students off their smart phones and texting.

Shelly,
you demonstrate a great variety in your methods & you are right that this fast pace helps to keep them focused & on task.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have found that learning to speak their "language" has been one key to success.

Also, having the answers to their why questions readily availble not just in my mind but in print is big.

I have let them know they have something to teach me about their generation. This tends open a discussion and make them sense that i value their experience and input.

Having them give personal experiences that relate to the topic. Gen yers really like discussion. Also hands-on activities, make them come to life.

My strategy is that I use my parenting skills. I have 2 gen y children and it seems like the younger students like to have adult role models. Basically I treat them like my kids. it works.

David,
that's a great idea to try & anticipate those "why" questions & as you said, have the answers in print as well as verbally.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Scott,
it is interesting to note that most Gen Y students rate their parents as their heroes in life. So you are right, they like those adult role models that are close rather than far.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree with Scott, I’ve raised three Gen Y children and at times it was very difficult but they taught me how to communicate with their generation.

I find myself doing the same thing, although not necessarily on purpose. It just seems to happen with the gen Y students, you kind of fall into what's familiar, and having two gen Y daughters makes it easy for me to deal with/relate to these kids.

I make sure and make my lessons relevant. It seems that my Gen Y students enjoy and appreciate when I provide examples of how what they are learning will be relevant in their professional lives.

I'm rasing two Gen Y kids now. I think this is a huge help in me being able to comunicate and understand our new students...

Sign In to comment