Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timothy,
I have found this to be true in my experience also.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have found that you need to include everyone in the discussion, this may include calling on the ones that would not say anything otherwise.

I'll bring into play the use of technology. When a student asks an in-depth question that I might not readily know the answer, I will refer him/her to their smart phone and say Google it, right now.

I try to get them involved in the subject by allowing use of cell phones for specific purpose: recoeding lectures, pictures,and quick research

The inner and outer circle Socratic seminar - they have to formulate questions, they have to support their argument, and they have to listen to others.

A.,
I think this can be a good way to appropriately incorporate technology & show the proper use for it.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Strategies that I incorporated in my lessons include a variety of topics that only last for 15 minutes. I have my students do a lot of research on the web, that seems to satify thier longing for instant feedback. I also try and keep the class moving so my students do not get bored.

Gen Yers need to be involved in using technology. I have done Internet scavenger hunts and also have sent students to the library to look for resources pertaining to the class activities. As more Gen Yers come into the classroom, my challenge is to look for more technological activities.

Leaving there cell phones off and pay attention to what we say is the big challange. Google is there middle name.

Ann Marie,
I think this is an excellent approach

Dr. Ryan Meers

My Generation Y students glaze-over with PPs and I don't blame them. PP is over-used because most publishers now provide the supplement and it's easy. However, I also discovered that Gen.. Y students enjoy creating their own PP presentations because they like the technology. So, I rarely use PP - but offer students the choice of creating their own (along with other alternative assessments such as creating their own avitars).

I teach automotive classes and have found the faster I can get their hands on electronic equipment such as scan tools, oscilloscopes, etc, the better they respond and the more they learn. To much classroom and not enough lab time seems to hurt this generation more than help them.

In my classroom, when the assignment calls for a project, I make it a brochure in Publisher, or a PowerPoint etc. The information is still being learned but all the while integrating the technology.

I think that helping each other and working in small groups is an excellent strategy for Gen Y

Patricia,
I think this isi a great idea & I'm guessing really helps engage them in the learning even more.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I use PowerPoint presentations for lecture, then online assignment for homework that students get instant feedback. I also assign projects for students to work in small groups.

I agree Tim, the students would rather learn hands on than sit and watch a lecture.

They love the latest information/trends. Tying some new advancements into the present subject matter helps. They are not big on reading but love videos, we have permissions from many OEM's so I use their information often.
The retention of imformation by them is scary, they have a difficult time remembering what was stated from the classroom to the lab. They will grab their cell phone but forget their paperwork, pen, meter, safety glasses, etc...
Their overall take on life is difficult to grasp, they don't wear socks, they don't tie their shoes and they love VERY loose fitting pants. From a safety perspective they are a train wreck and get very offended if you mention these facts.

When leading a class I too like to keep the lectures short and to the point. I like to deliver a fast paced class and received many student compliments too. I am glad the majority of my student liked to learn this way. I also delivered quick feedback so they knew at any given time where they stood. When correcting a student I usually include words like "I suggest you do it this way" instead of "do it this way" and include "you choose." I tend to get better buy-in when I suggest than when I my order.

I admit that when I first started teaching I lectured for long periods of time because that is how I learned and assumed that was how this generation would learn also. Unfortunately, I did not get the success out of my students that I would like to see.

When I switched things up and started incorporating more activities and hands on learning I saw a rapid improvement with the Gen Y students.

Sign In to comment