Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gordon,
had this conversation the other day about take home tests & open book. There is definitely a misperception that these tests are easier whereas usually they are actually harder.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Bob,
yes, we must help them learn to utilize those thinking skills as well as being able to access information at the touch of a button.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. Open book testing isn't the method of evaluation that would truly test their knowledge of the subject. It only proves that student can, or cannot, find an answer. It isn't a knowledge based response therefore by no means could they be evaluated correctly. Gen Y has issues with learning how to learn.

I find that the Socratic method of questioning students works well. The questions must be to the level of the class. Start with a question to which the student should know the answer. If they are unable to answer the question, follow up with probing questions to assess their level of understanding on the given topic. Then follow these with leading (guiding) questions that bridge the gap to the level of understanding that you want them to achieve. The students enjoy the fact that they “get to the answer” on their own.

I use a mix of discussion, conversation, video, and current events. I ask students to provide their own examples to make the material relevant. Best of all, I ask the class who would like to be the "fact-checker." Sometimes I have more than one taker. The premise is to check any facts via the internet right then and there that are relevant to the topic.

I like to use a lot of case studies in the discussion boards. It allows them to share ideas and learn from each other. They also get instant feedback from their instructor and peers.

I often offer "open book, open notes, but NOT open neighbor." I allow open internet also. Beforehand, we discuss the time factor and the need to know where to look.

What I plan to remember to add is a reminder about the need to acknowledge sources and to indicate quotes where required. Generally, drawing from the textbook and class notes does not need in-text citation in a test or quiz setting, but lifting direct quotations without credit in any context is a bad practice. Freedom to wander the net sometimes turns into that kind of plagiarism.

I'm wondering, having further considered the Gen Y desire for teamwork and connectivity, whether I should allow group or partner testing. If all members are participating, it should enhance the learning. Perhaps the teams could adopt the policy of "you don't participate, then you don't share" in the answers. I would also like to allow those students who hate teamwork (usually because of having had to depend on someone unreliable in the past) to complete the work independently.

One of the challenges I have found for students researching using internet sources is their ability to filter credible sources. I have developed research assignments that require peer reviewed journal articles.

In teaching Design Theory, I've found it is important to show the direct correlation between theory (primarily through articles and important design web sites) and practice. I find that this generation in particular is very attuned to social issues and often wants to intervene in some way. A design component that addresses that has proved effective in my courses.

I use as much technology as I can in the classroom. I allow them to work in small groups. I also allow them the opportunity to teach the class a lesson during the semester. Lastly, I try to give them "real life" examples of what to expect when they graduate and begin working the field.

I produces short videos as supplements to the instructional materials, which they can view on their 'gadgets' in school or at home. I try to satisfy everyone, including myself, by sharing content via our online Portal as PDF files, YouTube, Vimeo, and email. My goal is to cover as many bases as possible where they may find it.

Encouraging them to take pics of their work and showing them how to build a professional portfolio puts relevant value to the daily work they produce

immediate feedback works with Gen Yers

Using technology based information, such as youtube videos for surgical procedure traing information, GenBank for nucleotide comparisons, as well as asking for information during class discussion using their smart phones generates productive learning experiences for students.

Youtube has a wide selection of educational videos that are short, often humorous, and set to music. The students prefer those short videos over many other methods of presentation.

BYOD - bring your own device and finding innovative ways to get students to use them to play learning games and respond on their device or access information. Create competitive environments of learning where students have a say in what we should learn. Create adaptive learning scenarios for each student where they can progress at different stages based on their level of competency.

I have found that incorporating Youtube video clips to complement a lecture has been very effective in the classroom to clarify certain concepts, especially videos that have real-life news scenarios or 3-D animations.

stick drawings although I was getting better results with elementary students than gen x

Including them in some decision making like when to have a test and also making sure to give feedback on test results asap.

I agree. Once again I am going back to my opinion on critical thinking and plain old rote memorization of information. With technology at their fingertips the skill to retain information doesn't seem as important to them. I think good teaching skills would be to somehow incorporate testing that involved critical thinking to solve questions.

Sign In to comment