Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kelly,
this is a great idea as it engages them with technology, your lecture, & can provide a just in time idea for you of whether they are with you or not.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Modern technology is a great tool but you have to be aware of the crafty ones. I had a student ask to use his calculator on his phone during an exam. Turns out he was taking pictures of the test and then selling them to others.

I agree Dr. Meers. While I will give an open book quiz once in a while I make sure the questions are of a higher level such as compare and contrast...

I allow some discussion regarding the topics we are discussing and if need be I allow them the opportunity to google the information. I do not do open book tests but have given them a study packet the day before exam and suprised them that they could use it on the exam. The ones who put effort into it got great grades and the ones who didn't bother doing it failed.

Gen Y individuals tend to want everything handed to them. So you have try and get them into a thought process of their own, so they may have a better chance of survival in the real world.

Julie,
I think this is a great idea as it teaches them to prepare & work, without the foreknowledge of "what's in it for me."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

A lot of positive reinforcement! Constant redirection and making my expectations very clear and upfront, leaves very little room for arguments. I may even have them sign a form saying that they have read and understand the policies and expectations.

Gen Yers love technology, but they also value experience. Being honest to them about lack of technological skills and asking their assistance for the same while sharing experiences helps gain confidence and credibility.

I have utilized a few ways to keep gen y learners engaged. 1. you have to switch up modes of giving out information. You must switch up from lecture, to power point to hands on. 2. you must have the student a part of the learning process--they are a part by using them to find out info with smart phones. 3. working in small groups to socialize and share experiences.

I directly asked my GenY students if it was even possible for them to stay off the phone for an hour of class. They did not think so. I have to think of a way to incorporate the phone into class, but not make it mandatory because there are students who aren't so tied to technology.

Sandy ,
I am personally a big fan of having the students sign an agreement as I like to consistently emphasize that they are responsible for their learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I give an overall picture of what is expected of them; in doing so, they are able to work on multiple projects concurrently. Therefore they can multi-task, which according to this unit, they seem to prefer. I force them to multi-task as this is what the current career market requires. Also multiple platforms of interaction, in person, online and through written responses.

Applying current industry related events to classroom topics and instruction.

Giving real life examples of what Gen Y learners can expect in the industry will be a very good thing to implement.

I have tried to use team leaning. Set as many 5-member teams as a class population will allow in a challenge match to solve a complex graphic design/marketing project. It has a history component, a industry component.. and then the competitive solution.

I have notice that if I relate the education to what is going to be expected of them in the field helps greatly.

I have also found that videos in a cartoon format seem to get their attention. Has anyone else noticed this?

When lecturing from power point presentations, to incorporate quizzes throughout the presentation; this assist students to follow along and provides instant feedback with regard to their progress in learning.

I use a lot of visual aids (games), group activities, projects,and discussions. I also put little stress balls and hand held toys on the tables to keep interest and attention.

Eugene,
this is an excellent way to engage these learners as it immediately shows them the application to real life.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment