Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One strategy I use is interactive homepages for my course. Students can interact with me whenever they want. They can submit their homework, check their current grade and even post questions to a forum of their peers. I make it purely voluntary but find not only the Gen Yers enjoy it it but actually influence other generational cohorts to participate.

Hands on activity is a great way for them to learn coupled with the lecture. Hear it and then apply it.

I have used alot of group activities and discussions rather than just lectures.

In response, I find it that my students scores are not as high for an open book test with timing. What I also find is that Gen Y does not read, if they do, some may say the book language is an issue to understand, some may say too much info in the reading, what do we need to know. So my question is How do you get Gen Y to read the text and carry it with them?

There are many strategies that have worked for me when teaching Gen Y learners. One that I have found critical is to break down instruction into smaller, more manageable “chunks” than what is in the textbook and what I normally would do for other generations. In between the “chunks” of information, I integrate small group work and think-pair-share activities which play on another important characteristic of Gen Y learners.

Due to the technological advances, I also incorporate reasoning as to why to learn the subject matter than vs. rely on technology, give meaningful examples of practical applications, and explain the value of critical thinking skills gained within the course. Another important strategy that I incorporate is frequent, meaningful feedback given in a timely manner. Students expect this and setting up expectations of when I give feedback and how quickly I turn around the feedback from the assignment submissions helps have a mutual understanding.

Sign In to comment