Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Computer literacy is required for any nursing student presently attending classes. Some are more skilled than others with the computers. With are  group settings we always have people who are willing to assist others . They also share their phone numbers in a group chat in case anyone needs assistance at home. It is so nice to see young people willing to help others, with all the terrible things going on in the world. 

This seemingly applies more to older students since many students these days have grown up with computers and had to endure distance learning due to Covid...

Some of the tips that the instructor can use are: Provide guidance on how to avoid plagiarism,help students manage digital distractions, and emphasize the importance of critical thinking.

I think we assume that students have computer skills that they dont. I think we need to step back and make sure we teach students to use each software program to get the best results.

Students should be taught the importance of proper computer literacy and the pitfalls to avoid. They should learn the basic method of navigating and processing  computer needs. They will need it for the real world experience.

I agree on many aspects of computer literacy for students, involving professionalism. I especially find it important that students learn how to effectively and appropriately use online resources to give presentations using technology.

Many students and employees lack proficient computer skills. Teachers can help students build computer literacy by tailoring assignments to encourage students to use different applications, tools and resources. 

I beleive social media prowess has become what most young ppl view as being proficient in computer skills and it is so much more than that.  The depersonalization of our interactions leads to extreme struggles by many students to interact appropriately. 

Computer literacy is so common today but students still miss on what and how to navigate through the school functions. I always take time during orientation to help them focus on where to find what they need.

Computer literacy is extremely important in education today. This module ties into the previous as so much education is done online. Even brick-and-mortar courses often require students to submit assignments through certain online drop boxes and platforms. It is critical for both educators and students to have excellent computer literacy. 

It is important to use technology carefully and practically in classes.

I feel that our students are competent with the general management of computers. However, the lack the organizational skills for managing all of the electronic files.

My strongest takeaway from this topic was the observation that "It is possible to be proficient in the use of computers without being able to apply computer skills to actual situations (Eisenberg M.B.).

Many of my students are very proficient in "getting around" on a computer due, in part, I'm sure because they have spent much of their lives in the presence of screens and the Internet. At times I'm taken aback by how fast they can use these skills to seek out some piece of information or other. In fact, it can almost be intimidating! However, I'm also, at times, taken aback by how inefficiently they use the apps that we are using in our studies. I teach audio engineering which is an area that has become almost incapable of utilizing without technology and recording programs. Speed and aptitude are paramount in the field and employment depends of being fast and knowing how to accomplish the tasks at hand.

Yet, I constantly find the students looking up procedures in the menu bars instead of using quick keys as well as using very unorganized file management techniques. I do my best to help my students realize that they must "Organize and present information in the appropriate fashion... "(as well as learn to) manage files and folders, including file-naming conventions and extensions. 

Computer literacy takes many forms and must be acquired to to effective in today's market place.

I think back to my college experience, and I would not have survived without my computer training in high school. Modern society has made it nearly impossible for a person to operate outside of computers. I can't remember a time, even in my nursing career, where I did not rely on computers for completing job tasks. Now, many years later, computers are much more integrated into the nursing profession. I want my students to feel competent working on computers, so that they can be successful in the workplace. Computer literacy is expected in the nursing career, and our students are encouraged to use them as much as possible.

it's important for students to have computer based  knowledge to be able to apply towards the everyday and work force world. my students in the welding field use their computers for class assignments and tests.

This is a vital skill for all our students, but especially in the areas of Marketing and Business. Allowing them the opportunity to grow and learn will help them develop these important skills! 

Computer literacy is crucial to function in most any workplace in this modern age. 

I had not specifically thought of computer literacy as a discrete list of sub-skills before. This is helpful awareness. 

Students should be able to able to conduct research on a computer, by locating and extracting information; be able to set up files and folders and present information in a logical, organized manner.

Sign In to comment