Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned to hard way that everyone doesn't have basic computer literacy. It's critical to function in the current working world. Students should be encouraged to learn more. But also understand what the basic expectations are.

Computer literacy is not only more in depth than I previously thought, but also imperative to today's workforce. Many students need to be taught from the basics. This may be crucial for adult learners. 

Students in healthcare fields need to be computer literate as they will be using electronic medical records and will need to navigate the internet looking for research.

Having basic computer literacy skills can help students move onto more advanced skills such as programming.

Computer literacy is essential to today's educational experiences. To complete an assignment, computer technology is used to gain knowledge through research.

While the statement that computer literacy is essential in the modern world, holds water, I do believe it is important to recognize the role that critical thinking plays in the development of computer literacy and to understate the role it plays leads to the detriment of the student. 

Computer literacy is required in the workplace and on a personal level for security, best practice, resourceful, troubleshooting practices. 

I can testify that a minimum level of competency is necessary for the field of audio engineering. Knowing how to operate a cellphone and not a computer makes no sense to me, but unfortunately i've come across students who live in this reality. Our Module 1 program starts off with basic computer training for the first 2 weeks, but every now and then some students fall through the cracks. Computer literacy vetting has to be stronger.

We should not always expect students to enter our classrooms with the type of computer literacy required for the profession.  

Supporting computer literacy is important because developing computer literacy skills will increase competence in various computer contexts. As an educator I will provide formal instruction to develop their computer literacy skills, cover essential skills, hands-on practice, promote critical thinking, and integration with professional skills. These strategies will equip students with computer literacy skills to thrive in today's digital society. 

Sign In to comment