Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yashama,
Great point. This is also dependability. That will go a long way with your team.
Philip Campbell

juanita ,
The students will identify with you being dependable and rely on you. Just be careful it does not become overwhelming for you. Keep that balance.
Philip Campbell

All soft skills can be conducive and effective in The workplace they can help you tremendously in with your students

all soft skills can be conducive and effective they can help you tremendously in The classroom

We also have to realize that common sense in not always common to everyone. Some of our students come from demographics where they have more street smarts than common sense. This has gotten them by in their communities and with their peers throught-out their short lives. We have to instill good values and common sense by leading by example. This will insure their growth in the work force for their future. This is why communication between Instructors and students must be fostered and strong.

Of course, communication should be the most important soft skill for instructors. Without good communication skills; students as well as the instructor will never understand what is expected of them. Also, respect and dependability are important soft skills. Faculty, instructors, and students all need to respect each other if learning is to take place. Furthermore, dependability is equally important. Students have to understand they can depend on their instructor to teach them as well as offer them guidance when needed.

All the soft skills are imperative for success but I believe a positive attitude combined with dependability(accountability and willingness to do more than required) allows for great accomplishments and relationships with workers,employers,and customers.

juanita ,
The soft skills you possess will help a lot with your interactions with your students.
Philip Campbell

Tammy,
Good Point. We all need to remember that our students may not have these skills, but they are 100% teachable.
Philip Campbell

I feel integrity is the biggest and most important soft skill because without integrity you will not be able to move forward. The others are very important because they make you the instructor that you are but i still feel integrity is the most important

David,
The students will recognize this as well.
Philip Campbell

I couldn't agree more with your inclusion of perception and its importance in reading people and reacting accordingly. I feel that I personally excel in a many of the soft skill areas, although managing my personal stress and negative emotions tends to be one that I struggle with. But if nothing else, I feel confident that I can always depend upon my ability to "read the room" and determine whether or not the direction of my class is working positively towards achieving instructional goals and student satisfaction.

there are many situations that arise in the course of a day at school, that cause a response from a teacher, trying to manage the class, keep cool, and show a good example for the students in controlling emotions of frustration, and sometimes anger. uncooperative students that may be disruptive can elicit anger from other students , showing a good example how to handle situations in a calm, professional manner is an essential skill.

Colin,
Managing personal stress and dealing with negative emotions is something that everyone deals with. The hardest thing is to be the positive persona in the classroom. Stay positive and keep reading the room.
Philip Campbell

I agree. I have worked at the VA Hospital for 12 years. Listening and providing g a non-threatening environment allows for positive reenforcement and great communication and great success.
Mariann Urbancsik, BASRN

I think that the most important soft skills are to be dependable and the be positive. At the end of the day, I am in customer service and I must maintain a good attitude no matter what is thrown my direction.

Chanel,
Keep doing what you are doing with your good attitude. Customer always want to see a good attitude.
Philip Campbell

That's sort of a trick question. All soft skills are important. One might argue integrity is most important, but if I can't depend on you then what does integrity matter. Positive attitude might be the important, but if the person has no common sense then what good is it?

My answer is there is no one soft skill that is most important; they all should be viewed as equally important. Depending on the situation one skill may stand out as most important for that circumstance.

It's very to narrow this down to one. Actually, it is impossible; I believe it take more than one to pair with hard skills that will result in success. I believe communication, positive attitude, reliability and respect are soft skills needed for most success.

Communication is key to interaction with internal or external customers effectively. A positive attitude takes you a long way, even if you lack in a hard skill, a positive attitude can boost your equity as a valued contributor in any situation. Showing up is half the battle, thats why reliability is critical; if you cant be counted on, your hard or soft skills dont matter. Lastly, respect is manditory, you must give it to get and you must exhibit it, even if other lack it.

I think that the most important soft skills are those that allow for a person to be an effective team player. I have found that it is talked about by those in charge but not often displayed. I feel there was a soft skill left out of the whole discussion and it is leadership by example, most of the bosses that I have had to this point in my life; told me how important being a team player was but...they were not alway following their advice. They did not lead by example...the best way to get people to follow what you are doing is to do it!

Sign In to comment