Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dependability, respect for others and accountability for actions are the most important, especially when part of team. I worked in healthcare for 10 years before I started teaching and I have brought those practices with me and try to instill them into my students.

Michael,
One way to look at it is what skills do most people value as opposed to most important. Everyone's values are different as well as their interpretations of what is important.
Philip Campbell

Dena,
Keep up the good work. Your skills that you have learned will be an asset for the students in your class.
Philip Campbell

Sometimes it is based on the dynamics of the class, some classes require more of one skill than the other.

Dependability, appearance, inspiring confidence, gaining trust

Being a good communicator, which includes being a good listener, and being polite and understanding of the student's circumsances.

I believe that the most important soft skill is a positive attitude. I find that people whom enter into their workplace with a positive disposition are generally flexible and team-oriented. Maintaining a positive attitude is pertinent to having successful people skills and a healthy workplace behavior.
Staying positive in an educational setting also fosters a good learning environment where students feel comfortable to approach the instructor.

Gary,
I love that, communicating and listening. Sometimes people forget communication is a two way street.
Philip Campbell

I personally think integrity, tact, and a sense of humor are the most important soft skills for any workplace. Someone who shows integrity will be trusted by their "team" and will undoubtedly show others respect. Someone who shows tact will be able to handle situation with empathy and kindness toward others. And a sense of humor is needed in any workplace to prevent people from getting angry or mean toward others.

I agree that soft skills are most important. We all work with people and people are the number one component that make any institution work. Almost anyone can be taught a skill, but soft skills are not as easily developed.

I agree that getting a long with others is a very important soft skill. This is something that you have or you don't. I think this is hard if not impossible to teach an individual to do. We know that tension, bitterness, frustration, and hatred in the workplace make the workplace a negative environment. We tend to work better in environments where people get along, work well together, and want to cooperate and help each other.

I do agree that there are more than one soft skills that are necessary yo be successful. One of the key things is to have the ability to listen patiently.

Listening is key to undersatnd any problem or issue it gives you time to understand and alos to think for a resolution.

The most important soft skills within the workplace are:
1. Common Sense
2. The ability to be a good listener
3. Accountability/Dependablity/Flexiblity
4. Being a team player
5. Being respectful

These skills will make a great team who are willing to come together to collaborate for the betterment/advancement of the organization and the students. Having a culture were everyone has a healthy sense of emtional intellience is a place I would love to be employed or own.

A possitive attitude is very important. Negative attitudes tend to spread among the employees. If one person is grumpy at the beginning of the day, it may progress throughout the whole office. Keeping a good attitude can be hard, especially if the day is going rough. We may not be able to change a situation; we can control how we react to it.

MOHAMMED ARIF,
Listening is one that is so important and that some people do not think of. Thanks for highlighting it.
Philip Campbell

Karen,
Positive interactions will breed Positive interactions.
Philip Campbell

I agree with Daisy. Those skills is how I've gotten very far in my career. I example that in my classroom.

I think the most important soft skill to havein the work place is Integrity! If you don't stand for something... you will fall for anything! It's not always the most popular to stand up and voice an unpopular opion, but having no integrity will tear a company down quicker!!

Empathy, consideration of others, promoting positive attitudes and conflict resolution. So many times I DO NOT see theses things displayed. I used to wonder all the time why those in customer service seemed to act like they didn't want to assist anyone, but themselves. Even in the workplace (outside of school) I hear constantly "why don't people do their job? I'm tired of cleaning up others' messes." These same complainers do nothing to assist or make the situations any better nor do they inquire why a once capable person is now lacking. Then they complain how productivity is down, but do not see their own contribution.

Kathryn,
Many people have stated integrity. I think many people would like to see more of that as well.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment