Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Well done, Karin! I like how this explains everything one could possibly possess, yet when one item, soft skills is lacking, it makes the other skills in the person's profile, seem not so strong or important. I truly believe that soft skills comprise 85% of the skills in the workplace. Everything we do in class, or how we say things to students, is critical of their learning and success.

I think of soft skills as wearing 'kid' gloves. Even the loudest person in the room may have the most delicate emotions.

Rita Palasek

Germany,
Nice summation. Keep these at the forefront.
Philip Campbell

Misty,
That is a great example. It surprises most people when it happens to them.
Philip Campbell

Joslyn,
Nice list. Understanding others is sometimes difficult but we can all do it.
Philip Campbell

I feel that a positive attitude is always winning, if we can keep positive Polly's in the front and the negative Nancy's to a minimum the whole class will win.

I agree David. Being positive is contagious. It is hard for a student to stay in a negative frame of mind when they encounter a positive attitude. As the students enter the classroom I like to call them by name and say "Good Morning"! Many come in to the classroom with so much baggage and drama. We may be the only person that is positive in their life or takes the time to care about them.

DeAnn,
It is always winning. That is a positive attitude.
Philip Campbell

I would have to say that the most important soft skill is common sense. Possessing common sense can help someone be successful because it encompasses so much of the important soft skills. With common sense one can more easily practice other soft skills.

Have you ever seen someone who has a great deal of knowledge and expertise, but lacks common sense? An example that comes to mind is Warren Buffett. I remember his wife discussing a time when she was ill and too weak to get out of bed - she needed something to thow up into and sent Warren to get something. He came back with a colander! As smart as the guy is, in that instance he didn't exhibit common sense.

People who lack common sense are probably very frustrated because I think it is difficult or impossible to learn. How do you teach common sense?

Empathy and emotional balance.

What do you think the most important soft skills are for success in any workplace and why?

Empathy and emotional balance.

As an instructor and manger of adjuncts i feel like if i have solid individual who is willing to learn then I can help them gain the skills they need to be successful in the classroom.

I have to be honest, I was surprised that attitude wasn't the most popular answer!

As an instructor and manger of adjuncts i feel like if i have solid individual who is willing to learn then I can help them gain the skills they need to be successful in the classroom.

I have to be honest, I was surprised that attitude wasn't the most popular answer!

I agree you have to LOVE your job for soft skills

Dirk,
Attitude is extremely important. It also helps to overcome obstacles.
Philip Campbell

Katherine,
Yes, Keep loving your job. No matter what industry it is in.
Philip Campbell

Being able to find the good in things is a priceless gift because without it the challenges to an educator could be nearly insurmountable.

Stephen,
Yes, keep looking for things to overcome obstacles.
Philip Campbell

Having soft skills teach you have to interact with other people and help us to control our emotions.

I definitely think that being able to manage emotions is high on the totem pole of soft skills, but also empathy.

I work with a very diverse group of adult learners, and when communicating with them I have to consciously remember their backgrounds.

Sign In to comment