Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe integrity is the most important skill, "soft" or otherwise in the classroom. I disagree with some of the concepts addressed in this course suggesting that the professor be prepared to change or manage their emotions in reaction to the conduct of students. While there is a balance involved, one should never cede their integrity for the purpose of "softly" resolving a situation.

I think people skills are the most important soft skill because people skills allow you to work well with others in the work place, as well as makes you more personal with the students.

Positive attitude but this goes right along with the self motivation. Especially as educators we are setting the example of what is expected of our students. If we put our best effort into what we are working on we are setting that example as well as the positive attitude. A positive attitude will draw people in...a negative nelly is no fun

Listen and ask good questions

I agree. Positive skills are useful in resolving conflict and stress.

I agree that a positive attitude is important when interacting with others in any environment. Negative non verbal communication that is unwarranted is so unfair and makes everyone else miserable. For an educator, this type of behavior is certainly not conducive for students to learn in!

A person's soft skill EQ is an important part of their individual contribution to the success of an organization. Particularly those organizations dealing with customers face-to-face are generally more successful, if they train their staff to use these skills. Screening or training for personal habits or traits such as dependability and conscientiousness can yield significant return on investment for an organization

One of the most important skills, I feel, is Attitude. A positive attitude will not only set yourself on a good path, it tends to be contagious. I feel you get more positive responses and results in the classroom if you are positive. Another skill that I feel is important is Listening. With all that is happening in a students life, if that student feels you are listening and understanding them, they are more apt to do a better job in school. It also conveys a message of caring rather than a message of " This is just a job.".

Positive attitude and having an open mind is important to student success

I think that there are several soft skills that are very important for success in the workplace, but I would say that good communication and a positive attitude are equally at the top of the list. As has been said by others here positive attitude is contagious, and if you cannot communicate with others very well you will not get anywhere.

Definitely agree that becoming a health care professional begins the day when the students begin their classes. The students definitely learn the skills and acquire attitudes as well as habits of a successful professional.

I think that the most important soft skill in a workplace is the ability to work with others and dependability. It is vital to a workplace to have employees that get along and are able to communicate well with others.

Tact is critical in the workplace. Sometimes situation arise that need tact and you have to know how to implement. I had a situation where a student came to class covered in dog hair. I asked about it and he said that he had 4 large white labs. I simply asked that he use a lint roller to be sure that he wasn't bringing the hair to class. He came in the following week, not only covered in the hair again, but smelling like dirty dog........others were starting to complain about it so I needed to address it before it got out of hand in the classroom. I sat with him, discussing the importance of sanitation as it relates to food service. I merely reminded him that he could not bring the dog hair to school as it would affect his cooking skills in the kitchen. I review what the "book" said about hair and hygiene in regards to food service. I asked him if he understood why and asked him to explain back to me why we were having the discussion. I kept it about our industries expectations and didn't make it personal.

I like that, positive attitudes are so important, not being negative. Being positive I think allows you to be open about new idea, when you're negative, you tend to be negative about new ideas or innovations.

it is always important to have a good attitude, but there are many other "soft skills" that are just as important, I believe along with a good attitude a great employee will also have integrity, good communication skills, good time management skills, and self-confidence to just name a few. I believe self-confidence is often forgotten or not high on th elist od soft skills but I believe if you cannot portray confidance then people will not look to you for guidance. I believe it is very important in a educational setting.

I think the most important soft skill in the workplace is conflict resolution. So many people, it seems, do not know the correct way to deal and resolve conflict that it ends up in a negative situation. Often times we tend to speak to everyone else except the person we need to--fearing confrontation. It would be helpful for us to all learn constructive and non-threatening ways of confrontation.

Soft skills I believe in the most important workplace trait. It sets the done of all the other skills. As stated in the lesson 155 is Technical Skills and 85% is soft skills. Attitude is a huge part to a happy workplace.

I agree with Loren. If a person can recognize and manage emotions in oneself then it is likely that others will follow.

Empathy, reliability, accountability, and flexibility.

A positive attitude is very important. If you can not effectively manage your feelings when you have a bad day, and allow that to interfere with work related jobs it shows in quality of work you put out. It also makes your co workers or students lives more difficult as well.

Sign In to comment