Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The most important lesson I learned from this topic is identifying the causes and admitting you are experiencing a burn out.

Coping with stress is a challenge. I find attitude and a team approach to conflict resolutions can make or break stress in the work environment. Working together with members of my team has helped me to avoid burnout by allowing me to gain insight, new perspectives, and an understanding of others' perceptions.

Keeping a flexible calendar and learning to manage time effectively is essential. Proper rest and stepping away can help make you feel more in control of things that are out of control.

Sleep and nutrition is important to maintain to avoid burnout. Making sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep and having a healthy diet full of proteins and veggies can help avoid burnout. 

This module helped me to accept that burnout is normal and nothing to be ashamed of. I often hold myself to an unobtainable standard for fear of failure. This module provided helpful ways to avoid burnout. The one I found most interesting and would have never thought to do was to schedule downtime. I also enjoyed the reminder of forming habits by setting up a 21-day routine. I plan to schedule a ten-minute zen session in my office between my long lab classes. 

I have decided that the most important way for me is to identify 3 Daily and Meaningful thoughts and tasks to do consistently everyday. I think is will be a welcome addition to my daily life. By doing these, I actually will be focusing on my time with myself. This will be a beginning to nurturing myself so I can offer more to work and family and friends. 

Everyone can benefit from incorporating some or all of these activities into their daily life.  My personal favorites are (healthy) cooking and walking my dogs.  I have also been meditating for several years and I believe it helps calm the mind and overall decreases stress.  

Everything in moderation.  I don't want to get burned out, so I try to have a good balance of work and family life.  We do a lot of things together - especially physically active activities, so we always try to get fresh air and physical activity.

It is a good reminder to shift my frame and check myself when my "Belief" about an adverse event might be leading to consequences I don't desire. I also appreciate the focus on the idea that energy itself is more important than hours worked. It is difficult to figure out how to put this into practice in places where folks are hourly employees. 

Comment on Roshanda Martin's post:  I am the same way. I just need to remind myself that I am important and just take some me time.

Sleep is very important overall. From my understanding, we should be getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night. This will help keep us sane and ready to tackle on the day! I will try to incorporate meditating since they mention it had a positive overall effect to the human mind and body.

Sign In to comment