Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kristina, Exercise is a great outlet. Some instructors find it difficult to make the time with their busy schedules. To address that, I recommend finding a way to incorporate exercise into your school day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Take a walk during your lunch break outside. These little things can add up and make a big difference.

Dr. Melissa Read

Holly, I am glad you are practicing what you preach. Some of us have a case of the shoe cobblers shoes when it comes to what we teach out students. It's great to know that you are applying what you know.

Dr. Melissa Read

Thomas, Staying up late and not getting enough sleep can make us drag during the day. If you find you can't fall asleep at night, you might consider trying to schedule a nap break. If that doesn't work, you might consider trying to get a little work done from home in the hours that you are awake at night.

Dr. Melissa Read

what help me is to take a vacation and go fishing. Listening to the ocean helps keep me calm

I strongly feel that talking to someone is truly a stress reliever. Due to my busy schedule I don't exercise as much as I used to but I will probably begin to use that as a coping mechanism in order to help relieve stress.

I plan to start walking and exercising on my full time job during my planning or lunch time to help relieve the stressors. I don't talk to many people about my problems or issues, but I plan to relieve stress by talking things over with others. Changing my syllabus so that I will not give make up test every class .

I love my me time, great movies and bubble baths and a good book always does the trick.

I have found that as I get older that there is much to truth to the ideology behind exercising is a great stress reliever.

The babysitter thing can't be eliminated, so I can learn to cope with it if she makes me late by being prepared for class the night before. I can make copies, and go over my lecture ahead of time, so I won't be worried about it if I happen to be running late.

I fully agree with Aaron that exercise is an effective way to deal with daily stress. At the end of the day, I do my exercise or workouts. The benefits of physical activities improves blood circulation and respiration, stretches the muscles, and allows the body to "reset" or re-condition. I sleep better and wake up the next day refreshed.

I totally agree with you. I have found that nothing works better for me at releaving stress than a nice long run. I am able to think clearly, and am much happier if I can carve out the time to do this for myself. I have also found that I have more energy if I workout, which is something alot of people wouldn't expect.

Phuong, What great outlets. It sounds like for you, getting closer to nature is the best approach for you - particularly when water is involved!

Dr. Melissa Read

Joyce, I like all of these ideas, particularly changing your syllabus. It's nice to be abel to set expectations in advance with students and then get those expectations throughout the semester to work for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

I agree that exercise can be a great tool for coping with stress. However, I feel that it is important to enjoy the exercise you do, or it may become a stressor too. Also, to laugh is to relieve stress.

Breathing exercises would be good for me to relieve some of my stress. Talking with friends and family also helps or just discussing things with a colleague is an immense relief.

Make me list and try to find out which stressors i can romove from my life.

Lynn, So true. The best exercise is the one you are most inclined to do!

Dr. Melissa Read

Dr Read and Fellow Faculty Members,

What I have learned is exercise, exercise, and exercise. I have always enjoyed yoga and running. I have always gravitated towards physical activity to alleviate stress. I am glad to see that this is well documented venues to reduce stress in my life as an instructor.

Susanne Marshall

I've found that consistent meditation helps reduce the effects of stress regarding stressors that cannot be eliminated or reduced. Even if that is just focusing on my breathing for a few minutes. I've also noticed that getting exercise regularly by going for a jog can reduce my overall stress. As long as I don't focus on it as a means to lose weight or get in shape but instead just do it to release pent up stress and negative energy, it usually helps a lot. An added benefit is that I do get in better shape and get healthier, which may reduce or eliminate health related stressors down the line.

Susanne, Yes, exercise is a wonderful outlet. It sounds like this particular lesson helped reinforce that for you. Wonderful to hear!

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment