Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will definitely excercise more often to help relieve stress.

I know I need to eat better and find a way to get more exercise.

Develop some breathing and stretching exercises to deal with the daily stress.

David, Two healthy outlets that can happen independently or at the same time!

Dr. Melissa Read

Some of the coping mechanisms that I am going to implement in my daily schedule is stretching. It will reduce the tension and I feel it would refresh me. Another good coping mechanism I found is using essential oils. We find that different smells sooth us or pep us up. This has always helped me

Make more time for myself. Find a balance with family, work and self

I will try to get back on a schedule at the gym, even if it's just short bursts of time, like 15 minutes.

Although there are a number of ways to deal with stress reading, talkimg to friends, and exercise seem to work best for me.

I find myself in the middle of rush hour on the way home. Takes 9 minutes to get to work, 45 to get home. If I ride my bike I will make home faster than driving and get exercise!

Jeremy, It sounds like you will kill two birds with one stone that way. I love the idea of consolidating coping mechanisms to get maximum benefits.

Dr. Melissa Read

Allison, It's ok to start small and work you way up. I see no problem with the short burst approach. You've got to find the time somehow!

Dr. Melissa Read

Christinia, Yes, making more time for you should be high on your list. You will find that when you invest a little time in you, it's easier for you to dedicate the rest of your time to others. You may find you are more productive too!

Dr. Melissa Read

Exercise is a huge outlet for me specifically, running! I remember asking myself how in the world will running reduce my stress level which is primarily work related. It has helped me tremendously. Can hardly go a day without it.

Stay away from coping using caffeine to get by, I would think for me personally breathing exercises and things like yoga would help.

I do get a little exercise every day by walking my dog. Of course, I always think I could get more!

One thing that really helps with the stress at work is talking with my program coordinator. She and I have a good rapport, but it's more than that. The main way we relieve our stress is to laugh.

We laugh about the silly behavior of some students, the decisions made my administration that we cannot change, and we also tell each other stories from our years in nursing.

For me, laughter has been a key component in helping me cope with the inherent stress that comes from being a nursing instructor.

I highly recommend it.

Eat less, move more. A few years ago, my physician told me that in order to feel the way I wanted to feel, I had to exercise. He nagged me about it at my next visit when I had made no changes. Well, I took him up on it, and you know, he was absolutely correct. Every time I go for a check-up he asks me what I am doing to stay active and he records it. That accountability keeps me looking for new things to try, and since starting this new lifestyle, I have run 2 half marathons and hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. There is still some stress to deal with, but I feel good! Time spent exercising is never wasted.

Worry less , exercise more , plan ahead, create more space for me.

For me going to the movies with the family is a good stress release.

Actually I run on a daily basis and I often comment that I can solve all of the problems of the world while I exercise. When I do not have a chance to run I definitely can feel the difference. Little things begin to bother me, I have less patience, and I feel increasingly anxious. So I work very hard to get my exercise time in so I can maintain a positive attitude.

But there is one area in which I can improve upon and that would be getting enough sleep. I am not consistent and when I am tired so much changes. I transform into an emotional mess. I have been telling myself that during the holidays I will do my best to help myself get more rest. I am trying to keep that as a top priority.

Prioritizing the "to-do" list will help immensely particularly at this time of the year!

Sign In to comment