Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Exercise and speaking about them are definitely the way to go. Overall healthy living is always a goal of mine and I try to re-set that as a priority when I can.

Randy, Great to hear. I'm sure your family enjoys this too!

Dr. Melissa Read

Karl, All great ideas. Now how to get this all done. I recommend starting small and working your way up. This is a lot to take on all at once.

Dr. Melissa Read

Ironically, this prompt creates quite the quandary...again! I am starting to realize that I need to practice what I preach (or in this case, teach!) I deliver an instructional mini-unit on conscious breathing and alternative exercises like Thai Chi, Hatha Yoga, etc. I've used modified versions of the stretches and positions in Yoga to cope with daily stressors. Once again, I think I need to get back to doing this.

Coping with stress is an everyday task. We all must find healthy ways to cope with our stress so we will be effective for our families and our jobs.

I exercise at least 4 times a week to deal with stress. and to make up for some of my nonhealthy coping mechanisms that i refuse to give up.

Other things i do when i feel stressed is to walk the campus and talk with students, i find it gives me perspective on things.

I make sure to take time to walk around the halls of school and chat with students as I'm not a big exercise person and I make sure to have adequate hours of sleep during stressful times.

Yes, exercise! I've found some free yoga shows on Hulu, and I've actually started to do them this week. I think getting into a new habit like this will be a little easier during winter break.

I have always tried to get enough sleep but have not really implemented the other techniques for stress management. I do my best to eliminate and reduce my stress and avoided physical activity because it never has appealed to me. Now, that I am aware of the breathing and stretching activities, my plan is to incorporate these into my daily schedule. I like the idea of stretching and this can be done within a short timeframe with what I believe will produce good results. The breathing is quite easy to utilize throughout the day even while teaching. This module has been informative and helpful.

Based on the material, I am planning to attend yoga classes that stress (no pun intended) the practice of breathing. The stretching part of the yoga is only natural and for a man of more years that helps tremendously.

I will continue to get out and walk when I have the time! I also have started to practice meditation. Another thing that I find relaxing when I have time, is to cook. I find that I am focused and very happy.

Ron, Sounds like you have developed a healthy approach to stress management. Having a couple different outlets to rely on likely helps a lot.

Dr. Melissa Read

Melissa, Love your approach of finding free yoga shows on Hulu! There is likely a lot of great content there for others to try.

Dr. Melissa Read

Planning for more sleep will help

The best thing I can implement into my day routine to cope with stress factors is concentrating on breathing and meditation to "let things go" that I have no control over.

Sign In to comment