Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the future, I plan to incorporate a moderate exercise regiment utilizing a recumbent bike; in addition, I will include a 1-2 hour read/nap period during the day.

Exercise is a great stress reliever! I prefer to walk and make sure I get at least a 30 minute walk in each day! I also get a massage 1-2 times/month and practice good breathing techniques and gentle stretching as well. The thing I could improve the most is going to bed at a similar time each night to ensure I am getting adequate sleep as well!

My family issues are large stressors in my life. I had to recently cut ties with a family member that brough too much stress to me.

Peter, That sounds like a great plan. It also sounds like it may require a big time commitment, particularly the nap. You might start small and work your way up.

Dr. Melissa Read

The stressors in my life that cannot be reduced or eliminated, will force me to come up with some coping mechanisms.
I already enjoy walking and will add two more miles to my daily walks. I enjoy taking the dog outside to play and will make sure I find time to do this each day.
I will make a better effort to keep in touch with may friends on a weekly basis.
I will try meditation as I have liked it when I purposely added it to my daily regime.

I have been working on meditation. I think that has helped with the stress I can not change or get rid of. I try to focus on my breathing and clearing my mind as much as possible. It does help!

I totally agree that exercise is the main release stress of our life. Maintain the exercise routine definitely will decrease my stress level.

Somyot, Yes! I'm curious to hear more about the kinds of exercise that work well for you. Many students report that walking, yoga and swimming work well for them.

Dr. Melissa Read

I always have to go to work teaching very early in the morning. My first class usually starts at 6 am. This means I have to get up at around 4:30-5 am. Sometimes it is hard to manage things so I can go to bed early enough when everyone else I know can stay up later than me. I usually cope by planning ahead and using available time during my work day to get ready for the next, so I don't have to stay up late to prepare. I have also had to learn how to say no to some activities on a school night, when friends or family would like me to stay up later. I can usually make things work so I think I am coping in a healthy way.

I will say that my favorite way to cope with stress is to plan a nice cruise. My next one is JAN 3-10, 2015 and I am already 1/2 packed!!! I keep luggage 1/2 packed and smile every time I look at it and then de-stress

I will find healthy ways to manage the stressors that I can not eliminate.

Melissa, Excellent to hear! I'd love to know what methods you have in mind.

Dr. Melissa Read

Dawn, It sounds like you take a healthy approach today. This is great to hear. You have a demanding schedule, and yet you manage it in a highly regimented way. Learning to push back and say no can do wonders for the time we have.

Dr. Melissa Read

I would like to add intentional excersize to my day/week. I believe this would help with stress as well as my overall health.

More exercise, running, sharing with family and writing my priority list.

I have learned to be better organized. i have also learned to prepare a head of time.

Carla, Exercise usually helps. I'm curious to hear your ideas on the right exercise for you. Running, swimming and yoga tend to be quite popular in these forums.

Dr. Melissa Read

Manal, It sounds like you are at a point in life where you are ready to invest in yourself. This sounds like a healthy approach. All of these things you identify here are wonderful outlets.

Dr. Melissa Read

DaGabrielle, Preparation ahead of time can save you time in the end. It's so much easier to to manage when you've done prep work in advance.

Dr. Melissa Read

For me it's all about sleeping!!!! I substitute socializing with colleagues, just for a powernap during lunch break>>>

Sign In to comment