Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mike, I hear you. There are so many of us who experience the same thing. It's easy to take breathing as an automatic/ given thing, but sometimes we really do have to focus on it.

Dr. Melissa Read

I will practice more breathing and aerobic excercises to cope with stress!

I will not let only having a few minutes a day to stretch or exercise keep me from doing even the smallest amount of exercise. I have put it off in the past because I didn't have hour(s) to go to the gym and exercise, but I know now that is not the case.

I bring lunch and exercise. Hey I am a chef and if I do not have time to make a sack lunch of left overs of last nights dinner. I am all for that can of Tuna. Not a culinary delight but it will prevent me from eating junk which I have found does not allow me to manage my day the way I do with proper food intake, exercise, social time and sleep.

Years ago, my stress levels were through the roof and I did not handle them well. At the time I came across a pastor whom presented a stress reduction program. The program was mostly based on relaxation techniques which bordered on self hypnotism.
They took a couple of months to get comfortable with, bat as my mastery of the techniques improved, the effect was more pronounced. As with anything, practice made the techniques easier to use. Ultimately when stress was hitting a limit I found comfortable as a limit, I could run the technique and in a couple of minutes have returned my stress level to a more manageable degree.
The best part is the classes were free and I have seen them near where I currently live, still free. I have recommended the general idea of the classes to some of my students who might benefit from them. Some have taken the classes others not. The general feedback was the class was worth the time.

I have used many unhealthy coping mechanisms such as caffeine, over eating, biting fingernails and grinding teeth, to help myself better cope with stress I plan to share my stress with others and exercise

Candace, It sounds like you have a healthy perception of yourself and your vices. It also sounds like you have a great plan for the future. Do take steps toward sharing and exercise, even if they are small ones.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have found that just talking about issues with others relieves my stress.

I have incorporated yoga into my life and it has helped on many levels such as stretching breathing and relaxation. Now I get stressed when I have to miss!

Denise, Well if that's the greatest stress you experience, you are probably doing ok! Yes, yoga is a wonderful outlet, a calming activity that we certainly look forward to.

Dr. Melissa Read

I try to set aside time for myself, be it exercising,reading, listening to music, whatever. I try not to take work home but complete it at work so there is segregation with tasks.

Karen, Those sound like healthy steps in coping with stress. It sounds like you have many wonderful outlets. That's great to hear. Diversifying your outlets can help ensure that there's always an available outlet. For example, if you exercise outside, this outlet might not be available in the winter time or hot summer. Listening to music is likely a more year round activity.

Dr. Melissa Read

I think that making a list of the stressors is a priority. Taking time to identify them is a great first step. Then you know what you are up against and can focus on which one to take care of first.

I have learned that I need to step away from the stressor and breathe. Stretching and walking are two of my favorite things as well. I feel rejuvenated after doing these coping mechanisms

I'm usually up very late. Sometimes until 5am. I am well aware that this effects my ability to function properly the next day. I will be working on getting to bed earlier as well as adding some kind of excercise to my routine.

As a respiratory therapist, I like to breathe! I often take deep breaths to try and calm myself and to relieve stress. I will try to implement breathing exercises in my class as well to help my students with stress before exams. This should work out well as I will be teaching them breathing techniquest anyway!

I like to share when I can't eliminate the stress. BUT, I have found that sharing with my co-workers is not always the best way. We end up having a gripe fest and although it feels good to know I am not alone, it can lead to feeling helpless and that is never a good place for me.

This module really made me understand the stressors in my life and understanding how they can be eliminated. I will continue to try to learn new stratagies to cope with them and possible rid my daily life of them.

I use to exercise a lot until I started teaching. I felt that the teaching required a lot of my time and my energy. I believe that this is something I need to begin implementing again. I'm pretty good with organizing and task management, I'm terrible at coping with stress.

Helen, This is an important point. We have to be really careful about who we share our challenges with. Some people can fuel the fire. Also with coworkers, the complaints we share openly with them can come back to bite us.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment