Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files
  1. For learning management, expect self-direction, not compliance
  2. Allow Autonomy.
  3. Make Mastery Cool. 
  4. Make students feel like education is a choice, not a requirement. 

I plan to reflect on my teaching and remember to often consider my why and purpose and how that connects to the goals of the college.  This will ultimately lead to more student success.  When teachers are empowered and feel motivated, students benefit.

I have learned how to encourage others through extrinsic and intrinsic motivations. To use these skills to help motivate my students better and myself. 

I have a better understanding between the two and  have the desire to motivate my students with a better outcome and rewards.

I now have some tools to motivate my students, and guide them I want to foster intrinsic behaviors and allow autonomy

I may be unpopular in this comment, but we really need to examine a student's aptitude and ability to succeed in an accelerated program.  Motivation is very needed, but if a person does not exhibit the required mental ability to gain knowledge quickly  and accurately, we are doing them a disservice when pushing them through a stress. These students may be successful, through extended time and added remediation. However, this pace does not allow for that needed input. 

I try hard to motivate my students both with the knowledge they have learned but also that life isn't just a job to go to, they are learning a career.

I have learn that my students made need to be reminded of their purpose or their why over time.   There has to be more than just a good grade to motivate them although that might be good for some. 

Great information. I learn ways to motivate students. 

Motivation is definitely needed in the classroom regardless of age of student. I am always motivating the students and encouraging them on a daily basis.  

How to intrinsically motivate students and staff so they feel validated in their career/education processes

My students have typically been told they are not good enough or smart enough, etc.  They tend to have only been exposed to biological and external motivation.   If you can encourage and empower them to develop a higher sense of self,  above their wants and needs, and to see that purpose can be best centered around helping and supporting those around them- they tend to want to develop better Critical Thinking and Emotional Intelligence skills.   

I don't think I learned anything new.  It is frustrating as I was hoping to learn something to help give my younger students intrinsic motivation.  I think what I see, is intrinsic motivation tends to come later in life.

I learned a lot about motivating students and other people. For example, I learned it is important to lead by example. It is also important to have clear outlines for students to follow.

Assuming students are absolutely onboard to become a healthcare professional and expecting more from them in the classroom. The goal for myself is to see the students hard work pay off by passing the state board. 

Autonomy - I am losing my motivation in the work place because my manager is not allowing me to be autonomous.  I will use what I just learned to help communicate with my manager my emotions and feelings.  

As an audio and music professional self-motivation is paramount and this course is great because it points the spotlight back to the student's own hopes and dreams as the promise of success. Many times things in our field take many attempts to get right and you get used to it, but in the classroom, students are often reminded to consider what they are even trying to get out of this to help better serve them serving themselves.

Motivation is the key to making the students become aware of their end goal.

Motivate other through autonomy, mastery and purpose.

Comment on Brian Willia's post

Sign In to comment