Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I intend to express to students why it is important to learn certain aspects about mechanical engineering and by applying your interest in a subject you might find that self-motivating interest to learn more and master the task.

encourage others to share openly their knowledge.

What works is a combination of intrinsic and extrinsic.  I see that in our student labs. They enjoy the grade, but also doing something well

I learned that in order to motivate my students, I have to be motivated as well. 

Providing a well understood and defined purpose will allow it members to accomplish the task at hand. Provide the freedom and responsibility to allow them to tackle the problem and provide guidance as required. As a leader, provide a good example of a motivated leader with the desire of making the organization better. Take care of the organization members. Committment, trust, honesty, good communication, knowing your job, and respect will allow the unit members to follow you and accomplish the task.  

When you know you have a motivated team?..... When they follow you in spite of harm, difficulty or the unknown to accomplish the mission!

I learned about motivating others and the importance of creating 'flow' for both myself and my students. Make work purposeful. Allow autonomy and set clear goals to achieve. 

i have learned to motivate students by showing them  how rewardinding it can be at the end of the course

What I have learned about motivating others is that the largest unmet need and driver of motivation at work is purpose. This was an ahha moment. I wrote it down and plan on using this as an opening workshop for our students. Purpose is key!

I have learned the importance of how to encourage others through extrinsic and intrinsic motivations and how it contributes to the successful outcome of student education

What stands out for me is that I must find creative ways to allow my learners to be a part of their own goal forming and strategy to get them there. Autonomy and Mastery are the key motivators that can continue to provide meaningful reward when more basic needs have been met or are found to have diminishing impact. Giving the course goals and providing the information for learners to reach them might be enough. Of course, my experience indicates that each learner will require a different amount of "reminding," given that the semester has outside time constraints and each has their own unique set of distractors alonh their path.

Education is not pure learning book by book. Flow plays an important role, enjoyment and focus will lead to better improvement and learning capabilities and motivation.

Make goals obtainable.  We need to encourage our staff and/or students through extrinsic and intrinsic motivations.

giving students confidence boosts whenever they are doing good and accomplishing the tasks to keep interest and give them the desire to keep striving to do good

Instrinct motivation does greater and longer inpact to ones behaviour than stick and carrot.

Intrinsic motivation is founded on autonomy, mastery, and purpose.

Extrinsic motivation may lead to hedonistic adaptation (but it all depends on the person and the person's circumstance).

I appreciate the idea of "improvement is the goal in and of itself".

The course teaches us that we must tap into the student to find the intrinsci motivation. Each stsudent will bring a different set of experiences, by getting to know the students we can tap into what wil;l motivate.  If we can understan the why, we can always get to the how and the what.  To help students find purpose is to help them find the right career.  The right career will lead to them having more autonomy in their lives. 

I have learnt to interact and connect with my students at a personal level to encourage them\.

I have learned there are multiple principles behind why someone is motivated to do something. I need to ensure that I am motivating my students in order to help keep them engaged and learning. 

I have always known that rewards such as monetary and other tangible items are not effective in sustaining motivation. It is amazing to finally point out that autonomy, mastery and purpose and meaning are sure ways in developing motivation. I can apply this not only with my students but in life in general. Thank you.

I learned that motivating others by sharing your experiences. Personally, I feel that it is difficult for instructors to motivate students if they do not personally have vision. It is very transparent when we see instructors who are burned out and don't expand their student's vision through motivation.

Sign In to comment