Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just-in-Time Teaching | Origin: ED129

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Practical Applications for the Flipped Classroom --> Just-in-Time Teaching

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Jitt gives more time for learning in class. Web base training can be done the night before and in class we can discuss what we learned as much as what we didn't understand on the on-line lesson.

I feel that operating a more flipped classroom gives students the opportunity to be more in charge of their own learning. Using the multiple methods of teaching in a flipped classroom offer variety and will benefit students by keeping them engaged in the activities. As an educator it is so important to reach out to our students and meeet them where they are. Students will have differetnt preferred teaching methods just as the educators that teach them do. We have to offer a variety. I will use just-in time teaching in my classroom on a regular basis with many of the strategies that were offered in this lesson. 

Teacher immediacy is important for student engagment

The idea of Justin time teaching and providing a quick check in for the students prior to class starting is a great idea! This is sure is the students have been accountable for their independent learning I can also give the instructor an idea of what content they need to review at the beginning of face-to-face class.

Gives more time to understand

I think the Just-in-Time method could enhance a flipped classroom by providing an opportunity for the instructor to review learner responses before the F2F class time to determine areas of comprehension vs those that need more clarification and developing in-class activities that will help clarify and better help learneres meet the class outcomes/goals.  I can see where there would be a learning curve for the instructor in figuring out how much time would be needed to effectively read through all of the responses, depending on the class size, and develop the right in-class activities in a short period of time.

JiTT promotes active learning engagement and increases learning by intentionally linking out of class and in class activities. I really appreciate the idea of the short assessment prior to class, which might be as easy as having the student develop questions related to the topic that will be discussed in class. Will definitely incorporate this into my classes. 

The most interesting and enlightening aspect of this module for me was the thought-provoking questions. I like the idea of students working on coming up with a robust answer or idea to a posed question and then collectively reviewing responses. It's much more engaging than a worksheet, and encourages high-level thinking. I think the responses would have to be due a decent amount of time before class though, so the instructor could thoroughly prepare for class discussion. That part seems a little too off the cuff, given time and curriculum constraints involved, but it's certainly adjustable.

I was paryicularly interested in the immediacy portion of this phrase of learning. There were some very good points made

I think JiTT can allow for more efficient use of F2F class-time.

Just in Time Teaching gives opportunity to provide content preview and homework review. This can assist instructors by providing a means of "quizzing" the information, without taking up classroom time. 

Reply to Alison Hanson's post:

"People don't care what you know until they know you care." Old philosophical educational quote I have tried to utilize.

I learned that JIT teaching can allow student to do much of the preparation and lessons before the F2F lessons. 

I learned that there are several myths about the flipped classroom, including preparation time, teacher compatibility, and student acceptance. If the instructor spends the time using the flipped classroom correctly, the students will benefit. 

Sounds like the jitt is A great way to save time and get a good view of student understanding before the f2f class starts. I know that in my experience if you put in the time at first to built your class it will pay off in the end.

I like the just-in-time teaching model. I like the flexibility it offers while making the student the center focus. Implementing the active learning concepts would be manageable and effective in the classroom. Implementing this model will enhance the students' learning and increase their engagement. 

Sign In to comment