Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Measuring Student Mastery | Origin: ED125

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective and Efficient Instructional Strategies --> Measuring Student Mastery

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

One way that we measure student mastery in our welding shcool is having the students take a welder qualification test. These weld tests require that the welder have mastered certain techniques and knowledge of welding in order to be able to pass them. 

We measure student mastery by having the students complete competencies that are based on curriculum outcomes. This ensures that the student can apply the knowledge learned in the classroom.

Essay questions are the hardest questions to answer. Not everyone has the same writing skills and you exclude some students from scoring high on thos questions. True false questions can be a big problem if the question is the least bit vague. 

A well designed online course will have a variation of testing and comprehension methods. The online course should have more than just true or false questions because it does not allow students to formulate or recall information. Essays are harder to grade but it allows the instructor to see what the students understands.

I personally prefer multiple choice questions test for my students due to this is how the national cerification test is given. Helps them when they are going for that test.Esssay are great however not everyone has the same writing ability.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that; "Both matching and multiple choice tests are effective at measuring knowledge and comprehension. "

Effectively written tests help students really understand the subject matter. 

Multiple choice and matching are effetive, having the student read and understand the options gets them thinking on what was discussed and learned from the topic

i have learned how to place questions and how to measure student learning and applicaiton of the objective.

This module provides great information about the pros and cons of each type of assessment question including ease of grading and the level of depth of understanding (according to Bloom's taxonomy) that is really being assessed.

There are many different types of questions which allow for different skills to be used in answering.

Using these different questioning techniques to assist the students on their mastery of the material.  Each questioning type has advantages and disadvantages.  The key for the instructor is to use the correct method to reach the goals and objectives for the course.

I like reading and learning about the different areas where different styles of questions highlight learning in a different manner. This way, one can assist students to mastery of the content and meet course objectives. 

Multiple choice is reliable if constructed well

During the pandemic I gave students a lot of essay based exams, since the others would be easy to find back in their notes. With things returning to some degree of normalcy, I look forward to incorporating more diverse and robust question types, particuarly multiple choice. This is a great reminder of how to structure a variety of question types.

This was a good module for review for me, & a fresh look at how to measure the mastery of cotent. All different types of question were always used , & I entend to update them over time based on the following of each type of question.

• True / False: 

Use more precise language, to avoid may, might, can, only, never, & the like. Always write in the positive., & be sure true & false questions are about 50% of the test / quiz, worksheet.

• Multiple choice:

Make sure they are sentance based, with the stem & the alternatives. Avoid trick questions.  Have 3 to 4 alternatives. State the stem as a complete question, not an incomplete question.

• Matching

I do not use these that offten, but when I do, I will use them for more difinitive questions / answers, such as cause & affect, Proceedures & opporations, Components & usage, symboles & names.

• Essay:

These can really show the mastery of a subject. They can be perceeved as a subjective measure, instead of an objective measure, so I will need to use rubricks when ever possible.

It was interesting having all the different types of questions that can be used to assess student's knowledge.  I think it is better to use at least two different types of questions on exams.

I am not a fan of true and false, beind dyslexic myself.  Those questions I would have to read and re-read to make sure I was getting what was being asked, it would eat up my time on a timed exam.  Essay is also not as far, some students vocabulary is not as large. 

I learned how and when to use specific method in test development to evaluate the mastery level of the students on the chosen topics.

Sign In to comment