Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So many types of questioning. I think I would like to experiment with them to see what would work best in my class. As a welding instructor we do welding test to measure mastery of processes and task at hand.

The construction of the tests is important to get a true measure of comprehension.

There are many different ways to measure student mastery. Creative assessment can help those who are not traditional learners demonstrate competency. 

During evaluating students mastery of the course keep in mind the students ability to know, understand, and apply the key facts. 

Different types of questions may allow students to show understanding and knowledge.

I've learned a number of considerations to consider when making multiple choice answers, and plan to implement them.

The different benefits from various styles of questions. 

In this section we went over different testing strategies, and their pros/cons. It's interesting to see the different ways these questions can be useful to students depending on the context they're studying. 

Personally, I like to use a variety of true/false, matching, multiple choice and always through in a couple of essay or evaluation/synthesis.  I do feel that true/false an multiple choice can offer a small reward and higher esteem for students who have test anxiety, while if worded correctly, can still demonstrate comprehension and even higher order thinking.  When writing tests, I start with a list of the outcomes/objectives and make sure I am testing for those important concepts; and edit my questions for possible confusion or that lead to misinterpretation or multiple correct answers.

Because most of my proficiencies are calculated by live demonstration, this module was a great reminder of the importance of diversifying my testing structure and ensuring that I have a variety of question types. One aspect of mastery measurement and testing that I wish was focused on a little more was understanding the importance of the proper amount of time being allotted. Often, students will shut down if they see a test with many questions and a short amount of time. It takes them about half way through the test to settle down and realize they will have enough time. 

Sometimes true and false questions can be confusing. You have to make sure you understand the content of the question before answering.

I learned that a good evaluation of the mastery of students is a combination of well written questions from a variety of questions integrated true/false, fill-in, multiple choice. Understanding that using a rubric for grading essays so that the student understands what is expected will make it less subjective

that multiply test question can measure a student's ability if written correctly..

I like using some well writen true and false questions depending on the subject material, along with a good mixture of multiple choice and a few matching questions choosing to use very few fill in the blank questions due to the risk of multiple right answers. 

From the module on measuring student mastery, I’ve learned about various methods and strategies for assessing student understanding and mastery of learning objectives. Some key takeaways include:

1.    Formative Assessment: Using formative assessment techniques, such as quizzes, exit tickets, and classroom discussions, to gauge student understanding throughout a lesson or unit.
    2.    Summative Assessment: Utilizing summative assessments, such as tests, projects, and presentations, to evaluate student learning at the end of a unit or course.
    3.    Authentic Assessment: Incorporating authentic assessments, such as real-world tasks and projects, to assess students’ ability to apply their learning in meaningful ways.
    4.    Feedback: Providing timely and constructive feedback to students to help them understand their strengths and areas for improvement.
    5.    Multiple Measures: Using a variety of assessment methods to provide a comprehensive picture of student learning, rather than relying on a single assessment.

I intend to apply these concepts by incorporating more formative assessment techniques into my teaching practice, such as regular quizzes and checks for understanding. I also plan to use a variety of summative assessments to measure student mastery, including tests, projects, and presentations. By using these assessment strategies, I hope to gain a better understanding of my students’ learning and provide them with the feedback and support they need to succeed.

Learning about the different ways a question can be asked and what is measures from the student was extremely helpful. 

I think that effectively written tests will students in understanding the subject matter.

The way I measure my students mastery of a skill that we learn in Cosmetology is by using grading Rubrics , in that way they are able to show me mastery of the skill that we have been working on in class.

when working on my chapters for theory I use Multiple choice question which seems to work better for them.

We use a proficiency based evalution to determine competency in each of the course competencies.

I enjoyed learning about the different types of questions based on what time of learning you are looking for 

Sign In to comment