Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

David,
Good way to walk students through the ROI of the course. Each step reinforces how they can be successful and what success in the course means to their future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Christopher,
I agree and think this is a way for them to start thinking about their futures in realistic terms because this field is tough to break into and they need to realize that.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If possible go on field trips for them to see successful professionals at work. Try and relate the lecture portions to the skill they will need to work

Mariesol,
I use field trips a lot in my classes for the reason you state. They get to see professionals in the field for which they are preparing to enter. These observations really ramp up their motivation levels and get them excited about what they are studying.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe that setting up duos of students who are doing better with students who are struggling may be a good way to increse both motivations: the student who is ahead by showing him/her that now it's time to teach the information-which will motivate most students to continue to do well and not settle for how they are doing now...and for the students who are struggling it may motivate them to see that another student can grasp the information thus it is possible with help for that student to get it too-versus only getting that help from the teacher who already is an expert on the subject.

Cristiane,
This is a good way to provide student support while developing the human relations aspect of their careers. The majority of our work is done with others so we need to learn how to work with others in a number of different settings. Providing peer support and tutoring enables everyone to benefit. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think students would be motivated if they can use their new knowledge by applying what they have learned.

I absolutly agree with this. Students not only have different learning styles, which should be adjusted to. But they also have different goals for the course. It is interesting to hear what their goals may be and throughout the course continue to encourage them to achieve those goals.

Debbie,
Students need to see relevancy and application to what they are studying. The more we can do this for our students the more motivated they will be to stay engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Joyce,
I really enjoy hearing the reasons they are in the program they are and why they are taking this course. The more I learn about my students the more accurately I can target my instruction.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tracy,
I agree with you 100%. I find that if I guide my students thru the different techniques and procedures in a positive manner instead of in a stern non-conforming manner I have had much greater success with self confidence and positive outcomes. For example when a student performs a procedure partially correct I praise them on the correct portion and instruct in a manner that will allow the student to grasp the segment that was not correct in a positive way. I feel that a teacher/instructor is here to build student confidence.

Some strategies for increasing student motivation are to bring examples from your professional career into the lecture and start an open dialogue with your students and to approach your topics with genuine enthusiam to show you truly have mastered the information and enjoy utilizing the information you have gained in your professional life and activities.

This is a really good point. It also speaks to modeling for students. It shows your professionalism that no matter your personal issues, you show up for work with a good attitude. Students feed off that. They boost my mood too

Stephanie,
This is so important for instructors understand as they bring their passion and enthusiasm to the class sessions.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Determine student's individual desired outcomes of the course and customize a plan to motivate them in the direction they would like to go.

Erin,
Knowing this really helps you to zero in and provide support to and for that student. Also, it helps you to shape their desired outcomes so they are consistent with the course goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I enjoy doing this as well! It usually gets the students excited about their future and sparks further discussion of their career goals.

Lauren,
It is fun when you can help them to see themselves in their career and focus them on their future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I've noticed that my students tend to come into my class on the first day with a low sense of motivation because my course is known as "the hard class." They've heard from other students that the class is difficult. It helps immensely to go through the course outline, highlighting the more interactive and professional-development type aspects of the class, to help calm their fears and get them to realize that it won't be all that bad.

I sometimes find that in the introductions, the students will mention things that are of interest to them or reasons why they are taking this specific course. I often try to bring in aspects and realted topics that I feel will be of interest to the students. In most cases, if the students are interested in the material and as excited in the class as I am, the classroom experience is more beneficial for everyone.

Sign In to comment