Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tracy,
Good observation. Yes, students become more engaged when they know you care about them and their success. They start to see you as a part of their success team because you listen to them, support them and give feedback to them. This shows them the value of having an instructor like you being their learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe that showing success stories helps motivate students because they can see how they could have a promising future in the field. Also showing your students that you genuinely care about their success in class is another great motivator.

Justin,
I agree and as you know students like hearing these stories as they reinforce the value of the content that is being shared. In addition, the stories motivate the students and get them engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Encouragement, positive comments, having a cheerful attitude yourself even if your having a bad day. Students feed on the class atmosphere. Some have never heard" Great Job or I'm Proud of You"

Harrison,
Important point about how to encourage and support students. They do need a positive word from their instructor so they can see the value of the course and how the instructor is going to help them to move toward their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To help increase student motivation, it is important to convey a message of hope, enthusiasm, and endless possibilities. Sharing your own experience, strength, and hope can help students identify their own strengths as they see in you.

Georgette,
So true and so important in helping students achieve success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is a great response. If students can see
what awaits them at the end of their educational journal I think that is the best motivation one can have. Grest insight.

S. Craig

Sandra,
As they say they must keep their eyes (and minds) on the end result. If we can encourage them to do so they will more likely to complete their program and go on to career success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find that one way to keep students motivated during a course is to show how the material you are covering relates to the real world and the career they are persuing. There is nothing more frustrating or less motivating than to take a course that you feel is not going to benefit you when you are working.

Lauren,
Connecting the dots between class content and career application is so important. The more examples you can share with your students the more value they will see in the content being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Some strategies i use are playing games to help the student learn about the material they are covering. Also allowing students to create questions so other students can answer, so they can learn from each other.

I was planning on using the 5 minute method. Change the way that you teach every 5 minutes so that you keep them engaged and guessing what you are going to do next.

Linda,
Good strategy. It will keep your students engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel by the time my students come to me they are pretty tired of the regular every day tasks they've been doing previously in their schooling. They will soon be graduating and feeling ready to move on but scared about their future. Are there really opportunities for me? I make it my job to introduce them to various different areas and experiences and work with different people and disciplines. It gives them different professional viewpoints and gets them out their rut.It makes them have to think independently and hopefully critically

I think students tend to be motivated when the material is interactive. For example I teach sociology classes and when discussing collective behavior I may have them start class with a quick game of simon says then go into the lecture. It is fun for them, gets them up and alert and interests them as to where I am going with my topic.

Jocelyn,
Good way to help them finish their courses and get ready for the big transition to the work world. You are helping them to get ready and move toward their career goals. What a great time to have them in their educational journey.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Morgan,
I agree. The more interaction the higher the retention of content because they see how it can be applied. This makes it real for them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

First of all it is important to help the students appreciate the value of the learning experience. Then help them to have the confidence that they can succeed in the course. Ultimately they need to believe that they will get a return for all of the work they put into the course. In other words, is it worth it. Then they will see the possibilities of success with their training.

The number one strategy for our students is ask about personal experience in the entertainment industry. If they don't have direct experience then drill down to discover their hopes and future goals for film/tv

Sign In to comment