Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussing and creating a vision of what future the student can create for themselves upon successful completion of the course of study is one way to increase motivation. I think that creating a picture of what completion feels like also gives them a mental landmark to reach.

Letting them know that I am available and willing to assist them can also eliminate the feeling that they are alone in the learning process. I am demonstrating that I am willing to support them. They have what it takes and they can do it is the message that comes across.

Cleveland Sigh

Cleveland,
A career vision is so important in the educational journey for students. They need to refresh in their minds over and over what they will be able to do upon graduation. They tend to wear down during courses and forget or at least reduce their effort as the vision of their future drifts away as a result of real life. So bringing the vision back up on their radar really helps to get them engaged once again.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I will remember this as I progress through the term with students. I have noticed students need that mental refreshment and reminder through the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Cleveland Sigh

My favorite way to motivate students is to show them how the material directly relates to their life and/or profession. As a PT we cover a lot of sciece subjects that can seem very dense. I like to break it down to "this is how you will use this information in the field". It is also nice to use real patient examples so the students get the feel for treating and helping a real patient.

Kathleen,
This is an important part of the instructional process. The more connections you can make between the content and application the more value the students will associate with the course. This becomes their ROI and increases their motivation to learn the material. Good strategy, keep up the effort!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is not always doable for every kind of class but when I can I try to incorporate outside testers to come into the classroom to test and evaluate student work.

This is usually part of a final project and it requires students to put their work out there and get usability feedback from someone other than me (the instructor).

This kind of testing event that's built into the schedule has proven to be a good motivator. Since implementing this method I have seen a big improvement in quality of projects and overall participation.

I believe its because come the day of the event students know how bad it would look if their project isn't complete of only half thought through.

Joseph,
This is a good strategy because it gives input to the students from another perspective, that being a professional in their field. In the work world their efforts are going to be evaluated so the sooner they can get input from someone from the field the sooner they start to see how much effort they are going to need to put into their projects and what the evaluation criteria is.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I suggest that students consider always approaching any situation with the goal of identifying something, any nugget or insight, that they can take away from the endeavor. Keep it positive!

I think it's important during the process of learning that a positive reinforcement of the students work take place. Find the good in the not so good says that progress is taking place. I guess in this day and age a fist bump can say alot more than words.

Karen,
Such an important concept. Each class has something to offer and it is gaining the knowledge that comes with the insights or nuggets that build toward a specific knowledge base or skill set at the end of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Karl,
Knowing they are respected and valued are two important parts of helping students see how they fit into a course. Reinforcing them as needed increases the value they attach to the course and what is being covered.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Motivation..... try lecturing and walking the class at the same time... keeps students very engage ...

When my program chair and I noticed a wain in student motivation we thought it woul dbe helpful to let them experiece the real world for a reminder why they chose the medical field to begin with. We took them on a field trip to one of our clinical sites where they got the chance to work with a sonographer and real patients for a day. By reminding them that there is a light at the end of their tunnel and what they are studying will have a real impact on someone's life in the future really helped to get their motivation back.

Michelle,
Good motivation strategy. I am a big fan of guest speakers and field trips for the reasons you list. Both get the students ramped up and help them to see the value of the course and how it fits into their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

On day one I point out to the students that just by completing my class (Residential Electrical Wiring)that they will have the necessary technical and practical skills for entering that job market. This is before they will be finished with the entire course at my college.

Robert,
I think this is a great message to send to the students. That should really motivate them to think that they have a skill set that enables them to earn a living even before completing the course. If that doesn't excite them nothing will.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I tell my students that the course is not really English Comp/Lit. It is problem-solving/critical thinking 101. I talk about the importance of being a life-long learner, and that I'm really there to teach them how to learn, not what to learn. This way, no matter what new skill or knowledge they need to acquire in the future or challenge to overcome, they know the best practices/steps for them to take to achieve it when there isn't a teacher/facilitator around to assist them.

Michelle,
This is a great way to "sell" a gen ed course. Students need to realize the value of what you are teaching them and how good communication skills, both written and oral will enhance their career development. You are helping them to acquire skills that will help them to be life long learners just as you mention.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the strategies I use, is to show them that they have to strive hard to be successful. If there are hindrances on the way, to study harder and not stop. I tell them that if they finish one course, to take one step further and go on the next step.

Madelaine,
This is such an important part of their total education. Helping them to get a vision about how all of their courses fit together into a sequence that helps them to be prepared to enter the field of their choice.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment