Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find your answer very fitting for the greater goal at hand. By highlighting the fact that a student may not necessarily need to "sweat the small stuff" you are helping them see that one grade may not matter when looking for employment, rather the degree and license are the major factors as well as a comprehensive understanding of all aspects the curriculum held.

Jennifer,
Good point. Big picture and end results this needs to be refreshed for the students on a regular basis so they don't become worn down by current pressures.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find that I need to show my students what they are going to get out of the course. Why is the information we discuss and learn important to each individual student. Many times they answer that question for me with some easy discussion starters.

Jessica,
ROI is the name of the game and the more we can show them the value of what they are learning the more relevance they will see in their studies.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

sharing the value of what you are teaching and letting them see how it will directly effect them will help keep them motivated

In teaching a client service profession, I find that sharing professional stories both of failures and successes. These stories show the students that I went through the same thing as they did and that I am there to help them learn from my experience. The students see it as if he can make these strides and be successful they can too.

Keeping students motivated is always a difficult, especially when programs are very long. I take my students to court so they are able to see for themselves what it is like to be a court reporter. Giving them a picture of the future creates a great amount of motivation.

Joshua,
Students really like stories like this because they show both application and relevancy to what they are learning. They get excited about how you worked through a situation because they can see themselves shortly being in the same situation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Madelyn,
This is a great way to "connect the dots" between the classroom and the real world that the students will be entering before long. The more examples they can see and experiences they can have the higher their motivation levels are going to be. Keep up these experiences for them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Student motivation is an issue with every class. I try to use success stories (students and alumni) so student can see that it's possible to achieve what they are coming to school to learn. Their goals are attainable if they put in the effort.

Jennifer,
I use them as well for the reasons you state. Students like to hear stories from the field. These stories help them to see how they will fit into the career field they have chosen and how they can be successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a new instuctor am egare to learn many way for me to motivate my student by giving them chances to explain or input on a class topic we are doing.

Motivation is always a challenge. Working with adult students, I find that adult student inherently tend to be motivating, perhaps because they are spending their own money to take the course or possibly because they are more mature and have a more professional perspective of how a college education can benefit them. On the flip side, we are conducting these classes after a long day of work and energy levels can lag for our adult learners. I continually try to relate the concepts we are learning to real life examples and then seek to have the student offer some real life examples as they relate to the concepts. I try to maintain a schedule of 20 minutes of 'lecture', then an activity to reinforce the concepts in the lecture, then a mental (and snack) break. This tends to keep the majority engaged.

Sharon,
I like your instructional plan and how you have laid out your content delivery to support, engage and focus your students. This is what learning should be about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Show real life examples of successful students and business professionals. Let the students know it is possible!

Bruce,
This is so important! They have to see themselves as being successful in their career area. Many students have a hard time seeing themselves out in the career even though they have chosen to prepare to enter it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe than demonstrating relevance through practical application is the key to motivation.

By greeting the student's the first day it allows for you to not only get to know the students, but eliminate some of the fears they have on the first day. This also motivates the student and gains there interest.

Darrell,
So true and so important. The more they feel accepted and comfortable at the beginning of the class the more engaged they will be in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

From my experience in teaching I find that students seem more motivated when they know you care about their learning process.
Even better when you can recognize each person may have a different learning style and you can adapt your process to their style.
They are more motivated when you can show them the value in what they are learning and how it will help them reach their future career goals.

Sign In to comment