Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also make these points too. It helps bring the real world to the class room and how they could utilize the knowledge they are receiving.

Shamika,
I use learning groups, case studies, role playing and games. Students will really get involved when they are working on "real life" situations and when competition is added they really get fired up. I use Jeopardy and Family Feud as the formats for the games we play for review in my classes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Miriam,
I like your idea of having classroom etiquette. I think that our society has lost some of those social graces. I love the "owning it" idea, it think it would give the students an idea of exactly what is rude behavior according to someone else. Some people see nothing wrong with texting and getting on the internet, facebook or other sites while they are supposed to be paying attention in class and others see it as a personal affront. Great suggestion!

I find student motivation is reflective of the teacher energy and excitment about the subject matter. Students are truly motivated when the instructor is capable to connect the dots on how the subject matter is part of the big picture which their intended career.

I have a 4 hour class every Monday night. I use baked goods as a motivator. I make homemade cookies every Monday evening. :)

Donald,
A person after my own style. I teach a 6 hour block and food is a powerful motivator plus we have good interaction when we take a snack break. I think some of the students come to class just to find out what the snack is for that night.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Increasing motivation in class can be achieved if the students see the material being relevant and applicable to the real world in their field of study. I ususally put a lot of focus on case studies and actual examples and let the students build a sense of belonging to the profession. There is no harm in letting them start thinking of themselves as if they have already graduated and already practicing what they have learned. It becomes really interesting and motivating.

Nazanin,
Instructors need to strive to connect the dots between the classroom and the real world. The more examples the students get to see and learn about the more excited they will be about the content being shared. They start to see themselves in their chosen career area and this reinforces why they have chosen to prepare to enter it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I constantly remind them of the goal... to be licensed to perform their profession and hirable. To not just pass their boards, but to pass with flying colors and to be a more desirable employee than the next applicant. I try to help them not to worry about the small stuff, but to remember they were accepted into this program because they are brilliant and they have the ability to carry that brilliance into the profession.

Teresa,
Way to go in setting the students up for success. You are showing them that success is possible if they are willing to invest the effort to acquire the needed skills and knowledge. Makes for a great course setting in the coming weeks.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I really enjoy the feedback and support from CEE. As a student of MaxKnowledge, it really motivates me! :-)

Teresa,
Great to hear about your excitement for expanding your professional development. I wish you continued teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think one of the best methods for increasing student motivation is letting students know that there are career possibilites for well qualified graduates.

John,
Good point. They need to realize that they are preparing to enter a field that will reward them with money and career satisfaction. The more we can do this the more excited they will be about their classes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am focused on helping the student's meet their own daily and weekly goals by giving them a few minutes each day to set their own goals and giving a weekly template on the board so they can see what the time expectations are to develop their own goals.
It works and creates the internal motivators we cant possibly give them , they have to want it.
Michelle Callaghan

Michelle,
Good point about setting up students in a way that they can see the value of them wanting to be successful. Yes, they do have to want it and they have to put forth effort to get it. Nothing comes without personal investment and they need to realize that.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I found that a well prepared introduction of ourselves as the instructors can be used as motivation, as students would like to see how hard work and education can bring the reward of a successful career. The model that we present to our students is a motivation.

Realistic and reasonable expectations are also important, as students will be motivated when they believe they have the ability to meet our expectations.

Jan,
You are hitting all of the engagement buttons with this type of class opening. You are setting the stage for an exciting and focused class to come. This helps the students to see the value associated with being a part of the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Since I teach at a career college I like to start off my sharing my own experience in the field and demonstrating to students how what they are going to learn will translate into practical real world experience. I find that when I can make the connection between the classroom and the real world my students are always interested.

Chris,
Students as you know really like hearing stories from the field. When their instructors relate such stories the value of the course content is increased and validated. This also gives them a picture of how the course content can be applied in real life and is relevant to their future career success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment