Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jill,
This to me is the human factor in being a learning leader. You are helping the student to develop not only the technical knowledge and skills of the field but also the communication and cooperation skills needed for career success. This is a balance that instructors need to bring to their students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is definitely true. My students are always asking how they can become more proficient in a particular area they are focusing in?. I always tell them if you understand how something is supposed to operate, you will be able to fix it.
This undoubtedly over time can make you very valuable to an employer. This equates to a higher income which is what they are trying to achieve.

I always hit this after introductions. Part of what I ask them to share is why are they taking this course. Most of the time it is to meet the qualifications for getting a better job. I then go give them a brief overview of starting salaries. I also inform them that upon completion of the course and starting their new career that they will be considered technical professionals and will be treated quite a bit differently in their new work environments. I have found that this is a huge motivator for most all of my students.

I too consider guest speakers and field trips to be a great motivator of students. It makes them feel that they are not alone intheir problems, that someone else had the same problem, and that the problem can be conqured.

George,
Me as well when it comes to the value that guest speakers and field trips present to students. Both of these activities validate what you are teaching and gives application to the content in the setting that the students will soon be working.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to get to know my students first and ask them what is their career goal. I then tell them that they will be able to achieve tht goal with this class because it is not only fun, my favorite class to teach but will address what they will need to know when they graduate.

Mary,
This is a great way to blend your excitement for teaching about your field with their own career goals. This way you are helping them move closer to their goals as well as being able to develop rapport with them so their learning experiences are enhanced. A win win situation for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A difficult thing.

Self interest motivates all of us, so--and this is difficult--I'd have to say an instructor needs to touch the very personal hopes/beliefs/aspirations of each student. Punch that button and they are on board. But how?

Many factors. Class size, type of institution, online/bricks and mortar, etc....

But, perhaps, the instructor (at first meeting) can ask for a bio with aspirational, specifically, comment. And, thus, address these revelations, subtly, in class.

I've never done this, but it is a very interesting idea.

Ed W.

Ed,
This strategy does work because by knowing why they are in the course beyond that it is required will tell you a lot about the factors that motivate such students. It is one of those situations where the more you know the more support you can give.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I look for opportunities to help the students see that they are learning and growing. I work in the clinical setting where testing is minimal and evaluations are based primarily on performance and application of knowledge. As an educator, I love to see when a student "gets it." I also love to see their reactions when they realize they "got it." I will verbally "quiz" them, giving them a chance to recognize what they have learned and how that can be applied in their current setting. I also try to find students' individual weak areas and seek experiences that will help to strengthen their skills / knowledge in those areas. I believe consistent success can be an effective motivator.

Ellen,
This is what functional assessment is all about. You are letting them demonstrate their proficiency in practical settings that they will encounter once employed. This gives you and them an accurate picture of where they are in their professional development. Good strategy. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

On the first day of class, I like to go around the room, get everyone's name, their declared major or interest, and one sentence they would like to share about themselves with the class. From the information I receive, I often give leads or information to the individual students of how they can reach these goals. Such as preceding classes they may have to enroll in, a test they are required to take, or extracurricular opportunities I learned about. I find this motivates the student, because it emphasizes the appreciation of the value of learning, and expectation of success.

One source of motivation is relavence to career. This was mentioned in the course. I try to list and discuss applications of the course material in the real world, related to the target careers of the students.

Erich,
The more you can connect the dots between classroom content and the real world the better. By doing so you increase the value of the course in the minds of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am fortunate that former students stop by during class to discuss their success strategy. They also are able to emphasize the importance of the course content which aided in their success. It's amazing how students will listen intently to what former students have to say.

Since I teach a general math course, I am starting to work with other instructors to see what math is encountered in their courses. This way those situations can be used as examples in my math course.

John,
The more examples you can find and use the better because by using them you are increasing the value of the content to the students. Many students as you know do not value core or academic courses as they think they have no place in their training yet they do because they are foundational skills they need to have in order to be successful in their career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students can also contribute to each others motivation starting from introductions the first day of class. In a technical class setting some students will likely already be working in some area of the field. Some may have the goal and promise of a promotion, more responsibility, and/or a salary increase upon completion of degree. Seeing the work and effort of school translate into a real life career among peers is a huge motivator.

In teaching my math classes I also relate how the topics will appear in other classes. This gives the students another motivating factor to understand the topics presented.

That is a great idea! Have the students write down at least one personal goal on a note card and then use them to help relate the lecture material to their personal goals. It is also a great way to get to know the students better.

Sign In to comment