Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Amber,
You are doing a great service for your students by helping to reduce their fears about their success in the class. By seeing and hearing the expectations of the class they can start to see that they in fact can be successful if they are willing to put forth the needed effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Go over real life scenarios that might apply to their everyday lives and to let them know that you are a facilitator and not a dictator

Wendy,
The more connections you can make between the course content and the work world the better. This increases the value of the course content to the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I begin with the "End in Mind" and show them how it will be accomplished. I also let them know how the projects and assignments are link to the industry.

Some strategies for increasing student motivation are relaying some of your own experiences to the students and reasons why you chose this field/career. Students love stories and this will get them to thinking about their experiences and participating in the class. Also, field trips to places where they may be able to work some day is a really good motivator. Lastly, guest lecturers are generally enthusiastic and love to talk about their career.

Break-down Math concepts into small easily understood bits of information and explain how different ones of them, as we need them, fit together to make the rules we use in Math. As well as applying as many concepts or operations to real-life as possible.--taking inventory---combining like terms; our bank account--adding and subtracting signed numbers

keeping a positive attitude, making sure you always offer positive feedback, and continue encouragement to make them feel you value their efforts to do a great job (e.g.mastering their skills or knowledge) - needed to succeed once they complete their education, and career choice.

working with those that you might feel they need the extra mile from you.

Gloria

I intermittently point out positive aspects of their chosen profession to help students visualize themselves as an actual working professional, to reassure them that they are on a worthwhile and rewarding path, and to inspire and motivate them to continue working hard toward success and completion of their education.

Cindy,
Good strategy to follow because this will you are increasing the value of the course content for the students. In addition you are helping them to see that they have chosen the right career area for them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This really depends on the level of maturity for the audience. For me, in the adult education realm (military) these senior leaders want to be able to manage systems well, but what they REALLY like to do is lead men and women. So often, the best way to motivate is to relate how this will allow or help them be more effective leaders. So essentially we are motivating them by showing them how they can use the material.

Daniel,
Your last sentence really captures the essence of why we do what we do. We need to help our students to see the value of what we are teaching and how it will impact their future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A positive motivator is taking an interest in your students and them achieving their goals.

Charles,
What are some way you do this with your students?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I stay as motivated as possible and some of my motivation seems to rub off on to my students.

I will often do things that are unexpected like a change in state, or demonstrate a task while standing on a table. Make it fun!

Todd,
Good way to keep your students engaged and focused on what you are teaching. I agree with the fun part of learning even if it is hard work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to ask questions about the information that I am going to lecture on. One, it gives me information about what my students know already. Two, it helps the students assimilate the information and knowledge they already have.

Katie,
Questioning as a teaching tool is very effective for the reasons you state. Students need to know how to internalize the content and then store it in their memory bank for application at a later date. The more opportunities they get to solidify the content in their minds the better they are going to be at recalling it when needed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One strategy for increasing student motivation on Day 1 is to ask students to take a moment to jot down an answer to the question, "Why am I here?" This allows them to reflect back on making
the decision to pursue school. It will remind them of why it was important for them to set aside time and other resources in order to improve their quality of life. Another strategy is to provide verbal affirmation for students (e.g., "That is a good question!") as they speak up on any class day. It will encourage them to continue their motivation to participate and take responsibility for their learning.

Debi,
With your efforts you are helping your students to become a part of the class. As they get settled into the course they are seeing how you are going to conduct the class and how they can be successful in it. This builds their engagement level and helps them to be excited about the course to come.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe that Motivation starts with an instructor having passion and/or enthusiasm on his/her subject matter.

This I believe will relay to the students, and in turn help them become motivated for the course as well.

I see this working in my classrooms frequently.

Sign In to comment