Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not only do I have goals for my class and students, I have my student write down short term goals they would like to achieve in the course. When they are struggling I may have them read them over to motivate them. I also have guest speakers come in and demonstrate new things in the industry to show them what is out there and all the possibilities there are for them. I feel like I need to be positive and a cheerleader for them as well as an instructor.

Sonya,
I think this is a great way to refresh them on why they are enrolled and investing in themselves. They need to see that they are making progress toward their career goals and that this class is part of that effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To help motivate students, I try reminding them of what their end goal is and having examples of successful people in the field as guest speakers.

Lyndsie,
Good strategy. I bring in graduates that have gone on to success in the field and have them share their stories. These speakers really get the students excited and increase the value of the course content to the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When students enter my class and see the material , they feel a bit overwhelmed . each week on friday i like to reflect on everything they now know that they didnt know before. Most times they are very impressed with themselves and that becomes amazing motivation.

Genea,
Good way to review the progress they have made during the week. They get to measure their progress through this method and this sets them up for the next week's content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach beginning audio students and many of these people have not attended school in quite some time. When I explain that they are going to learn about professional cables and connecting professional gear the class seems very boring. When I explain that my class will help them gain professional technical skills that will allow them to work on creative aspects of projects they start to realize that this is going to be a class that will get them somewhere. When I tell the students that they will learn the technical skills by working on creative projects they see that my class will be fun.

Ask students why they came to school and remind them what motivated them in the first place. Sometimes the journey back helps them see the journey ahead with more clarity.

Ask students what they are afraid of? Have a real momemt with them.
I find that if they say "I'm afraid of failing this course" Then, I can say, "Don't be afraid of this course...you have what it takes." And, if you do fall behind, we will discuss what your obstacles are and see if we can get a plan together to manage them better.

Sherri,
Good point because they need to remember why they are there and who they are there for. Remembering both of these elements will help them to stay on task and move forward in their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sherri,
Good way to help them overcome their fear about a new course. Getting them settled in and feeling comfortable is important. They then can start to focus on what it will take for them to be successful in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach in a healthcare related field. Yes, these students will obtain knowledge to obtain a professional license. Yes, they will be able to earn a good living and provide for themselves and families. However, the first time a patient expresses appreciation for how you had a direct affect on improving there lives, PRICELESS.

Samuel,
Thank you for these comments as they reflect and reinforce why people enter the fields that they do. Being able to comfort and help a patient brings a level of personal satisfaction to which no money can be attached. As you so well said -- PRICELESS.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Knowing their personal goals does help keep their attention and to help make lectures realistic.

One of the most motivating factors for the students in my class, both past and present, is the discussion of their future working environment, the job security therein (automotive service and repair, which by its nature, is not outsource-able employment), and the potential earnings in said industry. This is likely for the reason that the greater numbers of my students are from underserved communities whom previously, had little hope for upward socioeconomic movement in their lives. One must keep in mind that such impetus is not universally applicable; student motivation is as wide-ranging as the communities from which they are from.

RICHARD,
Like the way you help students see themselves in the future. By connecting their income to the how well prepared they are they can start to see the value of the content being offered along with the skills being developed. This is how motivation is increased and excitement generated.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I learned how I need to share information better for student interest.

Sheri,
Great to hear. Are there other strategies that you have used that you can share with us?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Making reference to their field of study and the course itself and how it will relate and help them in their field of study will encourage them to see the importance of the class. Involve the students in discussions and again mention how the materials relate to their field of study. Review the expectations of the class, assignments, etc and review how these things will all relate to their field of study and it will all come together to help them in their field of study. Be positive and encourage them to participate and share in discussions.

When I grade an assignment or project I also give students detailed feedback. For example one student I had thrived in group projects but his solo assignments lacked that same "umph." The feedback when something like, "I noticed you act as a great leader while listening to your other group members. Consider bring this commitment and enthusiasm to your individual work as well."

By doing this my hope was to point out what the student was doing well and to motivate him to apply that same approach to other situations as well.

Sign In to comment