Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Facebook & Online Resources

I started using our facebook as an alumni/professional development/job board tool. Most of our students are on facebook so I will post information about jobs as they are available but never the company name or application specifics making them email or call so that way we can track who is applying where and not giving leads away to grads from other schools. I also utilize this site to post helpful articles and tips on resumes/cover letters, dos and don'ts of interviewing, networking etc. It has been a great resource to keep in contact with our graduates and get the word… >>>

Overcoming Obstacles at Work

What kinds of challenges might students encounter during their jobs/internships, and how can you help them to address those challenges effectively?

Students Work Success

Why are The Five Keys to Work Success important for students to understand?

Essential Interview Skills

How can developing effective interview skills also help students to succeed in the workplace?

Preparing Students for Interviews

As an instructor, how do you help students to prepare (mentally and physically) for an interview?

Keeping Students Motivated

How will you help keep students from becoming exhausted, getting discouraged, or giving up on their job search altogether?

Powerful Cover Letters

As an instructor, how do you help students to develop powerful, engaging, and professional resumes and cover letters?

Utilizing Networks

How might you encourage students to utilize their personal and professional network to find a job?

Inspiring the Job Search

What are some ways to get your students excited about beginning their job search?

advisory board meetings

how often do you hold advisory meetings?

alumni

how much time a month will be required (roughly) We will not have a director for this role

getting started

how does one get buy in from the other departments on campus?

Importance of keeping track of graduates

It is important so you can continue communication with them, and continue to help them. Either finding a job or perhaps helping them with continuing education,or furthering their education.

Networking homework

I love the idea regarding the students going to area companies to network while still in school. This will also help them get over their jitters about starting a new career and what to expect.

Keeping graduates on the right path to employment.

Sometimes I have graduates that just don't follow the information they are given when searching for a job. :-( I bring them back in after their externship and update their resumes and discuss job searching, networking, etc. Any ideas regarding this would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Measurement

How are you measuring the effectiveness of your social media strategy?

Engagement

What have you found engages your students on social media?

Social Media Management

How do you manage your social media strategy?

Social Media Platforms

Which social media platforms are you using and why do you use them?

Challenges

What are your career center's top challenges?
Related Learning Opportunities