Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tracking Graduate Outcomes

My college requires me to call the supervisors of graduates who have recently been placed in field, asking them questions regarding graduate employment duties, salary ect.

I'm wondering if other Career Services Representitives have tips on how to go about this.

My problem is three fold:

1. How to make sure Grduates are willing to stay in touch with me after they Graduate so that I can follow up with them.

2. How to convince students it is in their interest to help me contact their supervisor.

3. How to convince their supervisor that they should give information on graduates job duties/salary/ect. to me.

Thanks in Advance!

Amanda,

Good question. The way to go about it is to ask grads for the names of their employers and their ok to contact them. Suggest you create a script or list of questions so your conversations have consistency and are measurable. Then get on the phone and start calling and learn from each call. When you get it right you can get admin assistants to help. Or ask your Alumni to volunteer their time to help out. When you are good at calling employers, then call companies that don't hire your grads yet. One easy solution to all your questions is to set up an Alumni Community Alumni are your best resources for employer contact. MaxK offers a course on Alumni Communities with all the how to's to set one up and gain ROI and benefits in all areas of your school. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We experience the very same challenges! Thanks for posing the question. I understand it's important to give the reason for the contact, but it remains challenging to have employers understand the mandates set forth by agencies. Any other advice on how to get over this hurdle?

Kimberly ,
Tracking graduate outcomes become easier when you create meaningful relationships with students while they are in school. It is also easier when students and grads see your institution as a great resource to them. We also encourage developing Alumni Communities with the focus on what you can GIVE the graduate and not what you can get. Alumni Communities can be set up on line, locally, or at the school. You just have to be creative. MaxKnowledge offers a great alumni course telling you how to do this. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities