Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to motivate students to attend Career Services Events?

How do Career Services Representitives get students to attend their classes? I work at at technical college whose classroom hours are heavily regulated by the FAA. I am not able to take over a class for a Career Services Workshop for this reason. What I have been doing is trying to make my classes as relevant to students immediate needs as possible, advertising my own classes a week before hand, coming in with a sign up sheet two days before hand, and bribing students with sweets. Does anyone else have any other ideas? Thanks!

Amanda,
Good question. The only way to get students to attend career services classes is to make them required. You can offer workshops at times classes aren't in session and also online. It is very important for students to have a mentor in the job search process. This can be your staff and also alumni willing to help out. Employment skills training takes a lot of hand holding. You can get more results when there are no options. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Hi Bianca,
I see your post is from a year ago, therefore, I hope your participation has increased! If it has not; this is what I do. We have a fairly large campus and it can be a challenge, but I have door prize drawings. I place sign up sheets around campus and go into classes for sign up announcements. The workshops last about an hour, so I let them know I will draw for 4 -5 prizes at the end of the workshop! They have to complete a survey and I select the names from the surveys. The number of prizes is based on how many prizes I am able to collect. I have a marketing budget, but I also ask for donations from vendors. Ex. they love the insulated cups filled with candy, one vendor provided me with snack bars and cakes. I have even had local restaurants provide me with $10 & $15 gift cards. To students that is like gold! The word gets around and your participation increases. It is a win -win, they have gained knowledge and I receive my end of the workshop surveys to know what they took away from it!

Antonia,

This is a great idea. You get students to understand the importance of employment skills training, you engage the suppliers of goods and services, and you involve your community, who should know about your institution. We were going to start this response by suggesting you require students to attend career services events. We still believe that. But your approach meets so many other objectives. Maybe both strategies can work. Thanks.

Dr. Susan Schulz

The placement department is considered the most important one in a school. Great placement statistics provide essential information to the Admission Depart. It also makes your institute to be seen as The Right Place to go. Work with the Student Service Depart. Have info about the next grads, so you can get to know them. Make them to see you as a mentor and a leader. Build in them The Heart of a Champion. It is a daily work with the students to spice your Workshop. Students will feel motivated because they want to succeed and they won’t see your workshop as boring time to spend.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities