Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nonverbal communication skills

Adding nonverbal communication skills to the interview training is essential for a successful interview. These are good recommendations, but I am afraid that it is missing an essential part of interview process. I would suggest adding these topics to the interview workshop because recognizing cues or hints of the interviewer is vital to the process. Furthermore, we have to recognize our own body language, demeanor and what are we projecting to others.
In a diverse work environment, becoming aware of subtle cultural differences can also prove to be valuable as part of a skill set of job search.

JUAN,
This is all very good in our opinion. But first grads need the basic interview skills. Then you can drill down to the subtleties. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I agree that body language can say so much. Demonstrating nervousness, irritation, or being too fidgety can definitely hurt someone. I’ve conducted many interviews where the candidate’s body language made me wonder what was wrong with them and therefore reconsider if this was the right person for the job. What you don't say, says a lot!

Nancy,
Great. You have identified another required workshop to offer to all students. Grads and Alumni can also benefit. It is amazing how many subtle events occur when on a job interview that impact on the hiring decision. Once identified it is easy to train on how to overcome or avoid the problems. We think career services departments should have a line out the door. All students should see the department as a necessary resource to their education. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I definitely agree. The nonverbal can speak volumes. Students have to be made aware that they are not only being tested on their answers but also their body language that can imply that they are not confident, tired, unenthusiastic, to list a few. Incorporating the non-verbal communication skills into a student's interviewing training is very important.

Kendra,
This is a great point. Communication has so many nuances. It is what the job candidate says, how long they answer a question, how clear they are, the tone of their voices, their body language, and more. All this conveys many messages to the interviewer. It takes a lot of practice and awareness for the student to learn these skills. It takes being videoed during interview practice and analyzing how well they do. Also feedback from other students helps. Very good point. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities