Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Students with Gaps in work History

What do you do with students who have gaps in their work history, no work history, or they have a history of jumping jobs?

Graduate and employer surveys

We have changed our surveys numerous times throughout the years. It seems to me the longer the survey the less we get returned. Any feedback or comments?

Career services in classroom

I believe this is a great way to teach the students how to network. They need to be networking with other students and their instructors. What better way than to intorduce it in the classroom!!

Graduates turning down jobs?

This is a great questions, I would like to hear some ideas on this subject/

Programs that have low placement %

What is a way to concentrate on certain programs that have low placement %?

Career Cervices Department

I believe this is the most important department in the school. We all need to keep up with the trends and stay on top of this part of the school.

Nonverbal communication skills

Adding nonverbal communication skills to the interview training is essential for a successful interview. These are good recommendations, but I am afraid that it is missing an essential part of interview process. I would suggest adding these topics to the interview workshop because recognizing cues or hints of the interviewer is vital to the process. Furthermore, we have to recognize our own body language, demeanor and what are we projecting to others. In a diverse work environment, becoming aware of subtle cultural differences can also prove to be valuable as part of a skill set of job search.

Resumes from other countires

How do you tailor resumes when students have worked in other countries?

references

I was told thr new rule is not to add references upon request on your resume. that the employer will ask for a list of refrences when they are interested.

Names & Contact Info

Hello, My question regards providing Alumni names and contact information. This information is limited in postings..correct? I understand the need to make this information readily available however, when I answered this question I was focused more on the Alumni s privacy... Position title and contact information. What would be the appropriate measure?

Entering the Workforce

How can we start with the learning piece to have our student be productive and successful in the work world?

Successful Interview

How to get your students prepared to have a successful interview

Resume writing

How to make you resume and cover letter stand out from others?

JOB HUNT

What are some ways to keep students from be discouraged about finding employment?

Required to Document Graduate Placement

How common is a college requring graduate placement documentation? Has anyone ever run into a situation where calling students every month or calling their employers has been considered a violation of privacy or harassment? I would think that more often students would just not pick up the phone.

What are some Career Workshops that you have put on?

I was wondering, what are Career Workshops that have worked for your students?

Employer Coming to Speak to Our Students

An employer is coming to speak to our students soon. What are some points that would be good for him to touch on? I suppose that #1 would be what are employers in your field looking for in an employee? What else? Thanks in advance!

How to build an "Online" Career Services Department

I am the Director of Career Services for a fully Online degree granting institution. We have been offering courses for 5 years and graduating students the last 3 years. Our staffing model has changed 3 times to accomodate the growing number of graduates we have had year over year. Any advice or experience with the perfect staffing model to address the needs of students living in all geographical locations across the country? What is the best way to structure the Career Services Advisor's caseload to ensure an appropriate amount of time is being spent with each unplaced graduate while being… >>>

Tracking Graduate Outcomes

My college requires me to call the supervisors of graduates who have recently been placed in field, asking them questions regarding graduate employment duties, salary ect. I'm wondering if other Career Services Representitives have tips on how to go about this. My problem is three fold: 1. How to make sure Grduates are willing to stay in touch with me after they Graduate so that I can follow up with them. 2. How to convince students it is in their interest to help me contact their supervisor. 3. How to convince their supervisor that they should give information on graduates… >>>

How to motivate students to attend Career Services Events?

How do Career Services Representitives get students to attend their classes? I work at at technical college whose classroom hours are heavily regulated by the FAA. I am not able to take over a class for a Career Services Workshop for this reason. What I have been doing is trying to make my classes as relevant to students immediate needs as possible, advertising my own classes a week before hand, coming in with a sign up sheet two days before hand, and bribing students with sweets. Does anyone else have any other ideas? Thanks!
Related Learning Opportunities