Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Timeliness, Accuracy & Service | Origin: FA110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Developing an Efficient Financial Aid Office --> Timeliness, Accuracy & Service

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

notification of changes of approved programs

Examples of substantial changes to approved programs currently offered by an institution require notification and approval of State Agencies, Accrediting Agencies and the Department of Education. An academic program in the same field but different level such as an associate degree in business administration and already approved a bachelor degree in business administration by the three agencies would be an example?

FA easy to comprehend

How have you made FA comprehension easy for the students and parents to understand?

Accuracy of the Financial Aid Office

What is the best national training site? 

Financial Aid

Where have you found the best in person Title IV funding training?

financial aid posters

Where can the school get financial aid posters?

Financial Aid Training

What would be the best resource for Financial Aid Training?

FISAP not required for all schools

An Ominous Experience

The Financial Aid process can be a harrowing experience for students.  For many, this is the largest purchase they have made in life thus far.  The process can be confusing and frustrating; especially when their life situation requires that they obtain records from other individuals.  A large dose of patience and encouragement will go a long way in their Financial Aid experience.

Ensuring Federal Compliance

What should a Financial Aid officer do to meet the need of the Instiution while still ensuring federal compliance?

New Financial Aid Director

I am a new director for financial aid so I have a large learning curve. I was an admissions representative and I have attended college using Title IV benefits so I am at least a little familiar with the process and requirements. 

What is the greatest obstacle you have had to overcome and how did you overcome it?

PJs

How do you reverse a PJ and under what circumstances would this be appropriate?

C-Codes

If a student takes an extreme amount of time to provide documentation for verification what steps should the financial aid office take?

Verification

Has their ever been an audit of the verification process or the information submitted by the student to comply with the documentation?

Lack of Parent Support

Do you ever think the regulations will change regarding this? There is an increase in parents who either can't afford to support their kids through higher education or lack the resources to support.

Discussing repayment options

How do you inform your students of the different repayment plans available to them?

Having your staff actively interact with Financial Aid

In what ways do you work with your campus team to have them help you make sure we (Financial Aid team) are consistently reminding our students of their rights and obligations as student loan borrowers?

Literature

Literature I would really like to have items other than the exit counseling guide to provide for my students during the Exit Interview. Any suggestions of items?

Requirements

How do I, or where do I go to find out the specific requirements for an FAO in my state?

In reference to the 48 hour rule

In regard to "After the Admissions Department has qualified the prospect and laid out a program of interest, the next step is to get the prospect in front of your Financial Aid Officer within 48 hours." , at what point would you consider a student "qualified"? Our Registrar gets many students asking for a financial plan before they even complete an application to determine if they will eligible for financial aide and therefore worthwhile for them to apply? Is requesting a full application before forwarding information to the financial office considered proper customer service?