Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Pell grants_title 4

Are these type of grants only available to colleges?

Reviewing Financial Paperwork

I agree that keeping all department areas involved in default management is important as well as keeping constant reminders such as posters in their surroundings. However, in past experience, I have found that individuals default based on lack of knowledge. A lot of people are used to a fast-paced world and don't take the time to read what they are signing. I believe the most important thing is to explain in detail and visually show the student all aspects of his loans during his first financial aid consultation.

Life Skills Classes

The topic discussed on Life Skills Classes is critical for many students who are coming straight from high school. This group of students may not have a true picture of the importance of budgeting money, managing credit accounts, and paying off debts. I'm not sure that this area could be an actual "class"; however, a 1 or 2 hour "workshop" would definitely be a feasible time period. With this being said a few questions that I had are: 1) At what point should this "workshop" be offered since most students will have a full course load? 2) Should this "workshop"… >>>

GOOD CREDIT LETTERS

I was really impressed with the idea of using postive reinforcement as a default management tool. Are there any other ideas and suggestions that work on the same principle and are equally effective?

Good Credit Letters

I like the idea of sending Good Credit Letters to students who are making cash payments to the school on time. We've never tried this and I am curious if anyone else has and what kind of response they have experienced.

Student Obligations

How can we really make students understand how important it is for them to repay their loans? I feel like even after all of the paperwork that is given to them, they still do not feel like they are obligated.

Office Stress

As the Executive Director of a small campus (400 students) and another location opening shortly. My question to the Financial Aid staff is what part of the process gives you the most stress and as a Director what could I do to help?

90/10

In order to help the college achieve the 90-10 goal our Admissions Office is pushing cash payments and company tuition reimbursement, a lot of students do not know that their company even offers reimbursement until you suggest it to them

Audit

In order to help prevent audit findings our Admissions Office has a double check by the DOA for accuracy of files before they are submitted to our registrar for input.

perkins

our college does not participate in the perkins loan program, is this somehting worth pursuing?

24hours

Our ADmissions Dept has set a standard of 24hours for students to come back to a package, is this a problem with the feds?

Payment Plans

is it ok for the Admissions Department to talk to students about diffenent payment plans?

default rate

How can the admissions dept help lower the default rate of the school?

bad credit

we have a lot of students with bad credit when they come into the school and don't qualify for private loans, is there anything we can do to help them improve their credit while they are here?

Business Office

Our Business Office collects references from the cash paying students as well, just in case they lieave school with a balance

default rates

What do you think about sharing the schools default rate with students? I know they can and should access this online, but do you think it would help them to understand how they play a role in helping or hurtin future students and their ability to borrow?

Credit

Are there any good resources you can recommend online that walk studnets through correcting their credit issues?

Admissions

Our Admissions dept does not think it is their responsiblity to help inform students about their obligations. Without talking about financial aid elligiblity how can they do a better job of information studnets of their responsiblities to pay back any loans they receive?

90-10

With the loan increases in july 06, we are having a difficult time meeting our 90-10 obligations. What do you suggest we do to make sure to meet 90-10?

NSLDS

I have over 9000 records to review in NSLDS on a qtrly basis. How are you able to review all of these records to avoid having a repeat error finding?