Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Clarifying Feedback

The tutorial stated that the feedback receiver should discover specific things that one needs to change. Is it fair to extrapolate from that, then, that it is the feedback giver's responsibility to assist the receiver in discovering those specifics?

I have to agree with you that the feedback giver shares some responsibility to assist the receiver in discovering specifics things by answering the open-ended questions addressed to them. Providing a site whereby the receiver will not feel threatened or belittled will go a long way towards promoting reciprocated dialogue.

Different feedback givers will take on different amounts of this responsibility. In the end, I think it will wind up on you to get the specifics. This can be done as simply as by asking a question or you may have to inquire of other members of your workgroup.

The feedback should guide the receiver in the right direction. Certian points should be specific and others will have to be 'discovered' by the receiver progressing down a path of improved performance. When (and if) the manager sees the changes, feedback should support those changes that are working or those that are not.

I think if he is criticizing something he should back it up with specifics.

In theory ABSOLUTELY, in fact it unfortunately depends on the position of the giver and their
level of resposibility, as they see it or as
a matter of fact by their job title.

It is ok to disagree. By give and take with feedback this can be avoided

to disagree or agree it takes two to have a conversation and understand each persons point of view.

To clarify any feedback which you don't understand or are unsure about, you have to ask questions from giver, else there will eventually be some form of misconception. Just ask questions until you understand.

Sign In to comment