Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Writing

Written communication is one of the most important forms of communication. Effective writing skills are vital to a business.

Communication is very important in the success of the organisation. Written communication must be clear,specific to the topic and simple to be understood.

Written communication is key for certain subjects. However sometimes it must be followed by verbal and visual!

Hello Martha:

Very freguently, I advise students that ...effective writing is an essential business skill (this is very close to your last sentence).

The result often, is that students don't buy it! They think that spelling, grammar and sentence stucture issues are a nuisance. Those of us who have worked in business know that our work and our ideas will frequently be judged by the way we communicate them, rather than their content. Thus to have our ideas fully considered, we must communicate them well.

Does anybody have ideas on how to be sucessful at making this point with skeptical students?

One thing about writing, especially a letter or card is that it can always be saved and passed on thru generations. Unlike email it can be cherished and is always there when our machines fail us .Therefore writing is very valuable and it should be stressed that it is essential!

Your communication should state your purpose in the first part or maybe loose your communication's stated point.

I agree. Poorly written material can give a very negative picture of your company, or your person. It is always advisable to use good grammar, structure and composition.
I think proof reading is a lost art.

Sign In to comment