Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating with students...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep a class focused in a particuoar subject?

Hi Shalana,

One thing that I have found effective when keeping the class focused is to let each student take a part of the subject/chapter and present to the class. I ask questions and encourage the class to ask questions.

If you need more help, please write again.

My suggestion is to apply the subject to real scenarios and have students participate by sharing their expertise.

Hai Shalana! First we have to list out the topics that we are going to discuss in that class and give them a brief idea about the topics. Then explain with the examples. Ask simple questions so that all category of the studens can understand the concept clearly.

I teach online but this can apply to on-ground classes as well. When students are working on a particular discussion topic, I like to ask follow-up questions to each participant to keep the topic interesting and encourage critical thinking. It is so easy to get off topic in a discussion forum that this method allows more participants to contribute.

I like to share my personal experience as it relates to class contents. I also like asking provoking questions to get the class involved.

Regards,
Orlando Rivero

I LIKE TO ASK QUESTIONS AS IT RELATES TO THE TOPIC. ALSO I GIVE MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AS IT RELATES TO THE TOPIC

It can also apply to support staff in communicating with students. When discussing a topic with a student follow-up with questions. This ensures they understand what is expected at the conclusion of a meeting.

Eavesdropping on the students during the breaks may give you some indication of what they are currently interested in. Finding ways of sneaking those topics into the learning objectives may refocus their attention.

Sign In to comment