Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Feedback for Tutoring With Students

I work as a tutor for several classes at the 2-4 year college where I work. When I work with a student I prefer to use the elaborative style of feedback. I feel it helps the student to not only to receive a positive or negative feed back but helps to explain why that answer is so which provide details that may help for future memory. Sometimes when I use this type of feedback with incorrect answers, the students will understand the mistake from the helpful information I try to provide and evetually are able to determine the correct answer on their own.

What type of feedback do you prefer to use with students?

Hi Can you give samples of elaborative style of feedback, please

With Elaborative feedback, it is where you first state is the student's answer was correct or not. After doing so, you would continue to describe as to why the answer is what it is, and might even talk about how that may connect into a related topic thus broadening the student's knowledge which may be helpful in the future for recalling answers.

Ex 1.

Yes, the founder of the psychoanalytic school of psychology was Sigmund Freud. Sigmund's theories under the school were focused on the use of psychoanalysis for curing psychopathology with the help of dialogue between him and his patients. Using psychoanalysis, Freud was able to develop his theory of Psychosexual Development with the sessions he held with patients...

Ex 2.

No, the correct answer for the founder of Analytical Psychology was Carl Jung. Having previously worked with Sigmund Feud, Jung broke away and developed his own theory using self actualization in his analysis with his patients. While there are similarities between the two theories, Jung’s has a strong religious focus.

Sign In to comment