Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Disadvantages

What are some disadvantages to the development and use of rubrics?

Well, I don't like it when rubrics have a prescribed associated score.  For example, just because I think two students did "Very Well" on one rubric requirement does not mean I think both students should receive the same score for that requirement (one student may have achieved a 9/10, but the other could be an 8/10).

Sometimes, LMS's force you to certain scores on rubric ratings...I have a problem with that.

Hi Terri,

I agree that rubrics with prescribed associated scores are often difficult to apply effectively to student performance. I've always enjoyed having a part in selecting and even creating rubrics. It's not easy to use cookie cutter rubrics when dealing with varying skill levels, learning styles and desired learning outcomes. It is a challenge that I feel, we all face as educators whether serving as instructor or administrator. An idea would be to allow instructors more involvement in establishing department and instituational wide rubrics. 

Paula

I feel that some of the rubrics we are given to grade with are feeding into the the thought process of the younger generation of that of entitlement. THe rubrics give that blue ribbon just for participation. Why are we so afraid to tell some of these students that their work is crap and they don't deserve a passing grade?

Sign In to comment