Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing students...

In most online courses, students have the freedom to study whenever they want as long as they adhere to established deadlines for completing learning activities, assignments, and assessment measures. As such, is it true to say that it takes less effort to manage students in an e-learning environment than it is in a traditional classroom environment? Justify your answer.

No it is not easier. Students need to be reminded daily about assignments that are due. It is so easy to put off doing things because you can do it anytime you want. Self-discipline is necessary. on the student's part but they still need reminders.

Marcia, the answer to this question goes beyond managing students who are procrastinators. Apart from delivering lectures, other tasks Instructors have to complete in a traditional classroom setting are:

• Grading assignments

• Providing constructive and informative feedback in a timely manner

• Record-keeping

• Submitting grades in a timely manner

• Maintaining office hours

• Enforcing policies

• Initiating disciplinary action

• Counseling students

Instructors in an online environment are required by most institutions of learning to complete the same tasks; however; the means through which to complete these tasks differ in an online environment. For example an Instructor has to learn the features and functionality of the Course Delivery Platform. In addition, managing undesirable student behavior from a distance can be more problematic and take longer to yield the desired results because students realize that, unless there are mandatory in-class sessions, and they choose to attend these sessions, the chances of them meeting face-to-face with you are virtually nil.

When one takes these scenarios into consideration, and of course, there are others, it is reasonable to conclude that managing students in an online environment could require more effort than necessary in a traditional classroom setting.

I teach in both settings, and I believe that the effort expended in managing students is very similar online and in traditional classrooms. I think the key is communicating your expectations and policies the first week of the course in both settings, and then firmly but politely adhering to those policies. Students have to want to learn, and can be effectively managed in both settings only to the extent that they can be encouraged to participate.

Communicating and managing expectations, stating policies, and encouraging participation are powerful strategies. I agree that the effort may be similar; however, in my opinion, the effort can vary in degree. Let's make a comparison.

Apart from delivering lectures, other tasks Instructors have to complete in a traditional classroom setting are:

• Grading assignments

• Providing constructive and informative feedback in a timely manner

• Record-keeping

• Submitting grades in a timely manner

• Maintaining office hours

• Enforcing policies

• Initiating disciplinary action

• Counseling students

Instructors in an online environment are required by most institutions of learning to complete the same tasks; however; the means through which to complete these tasks differ in an online environment. For example an Instructor has to learn the features and functionality of the Course Delivery Platform. In addition, managing undesirable student behavior from a distance can be more problematic and take longer to yield the desired results because students realize that, unless there are mandatory in-class sessions, and they choose to attend these sessions, the chances of them meeting face-to-face with you are virtually nil.

When one takes these scenarios into consideration, and of course, there are others, it is reasonable to conclude that managing students in an online environment could require more effort than necessary in a traditional classroom setting.

I find that I manage the students more in the online format. Unlike a tradtional format where you encounter the student once or three times a week, I may interact on a daily basis with online students. The instructor has the burden placed on them in an online environment due to extend of the activities they must perform. These include not only counseling students but interacting directly with each student on a near daily basis. It truly depends upon the effectiveness of the communications between student and instructor.

While I have not taught an online course yet, my current teaching environment has my students located several hundred miles from me and often miles apart from each other. We do all of our between class communication by email or discussion board. I have also taught in a setting where students come to class once or twice a week at an institution where I have a permanent office and they are on campus a majority of the time.

I don't feel that it is any harder or easier to communicate with students by electronic means than it is to have physical "office hours." The real key is to make sure that the students understand and believe that you have their best interests at heart; that you have provided clear expectations and directions; and that you are fair and committed yourself.

I am looking forward to my first online teaching experience. I will let you know then if my outside observations are correct.

Denzil Verardo, Ph.D.

No, it takes just as much to manage student activities. Instead of handing in assignments, students are posting to a 'dropbox'... the faculty member is still required to read and assess. I believe the effort involved is equivalent in general.

I could argue both sides of this discussion. If an e-learning format is set by strict guidelines, the task may be easier, such as passing test grades and failure to meet deadlines for assignments. Much of that process can be automated which would not require intervention.

On the other side, e-learning messages can get lost in translation, particlarly if the responsiveness between the student and instructor is stilted or delayed. If problems arise, the energy needed to respond promptly (wtihin a 24 hour time frame), can create other issues. If the filing systems for recordkeeping is less than optimal, the ability to track and stay current can make the process inefficient.

I guess it depends on how we define effort, and manage. It is certainly more flexible, which might correlte to ease of management. However, it is timely, and broad, thus correlating to added effort. I guess it might depend on the instructors preference, and how they quantify associated value and return. Depending on what you value as an individual, mightlead you to prefer one venue over the other.

Hi All,
This response is meant for all students who have registered for this course and have posted a response to this question.
Satrohan

Positions taken on this Subject varied. Some of you maintained that managing students in an online environment requires equivalent effort when compared to a traditional classroom environment; others maintain it will take more effort. I do not recall anyone mentioning it could take less effort.

My position is that while the kinds of tasks we may be required to perform in both settings might be very similar, the manner in which we accomplish those tasks is different and this difference could tip the scale into taking the position that it is more difficult to manage students in a classroom environment.

As an online Instructor, you perform several roles among which are:

Coach
Counselor
Mediator

These roles are much easier fulfilled in a face-to-face environment. In an online environment, it can take a longer time to accomplish tasks surrounding student management; especially providing constructive and informative feedback in a timely manner, enforcing disciplinary action, conflict resolution, and managing undesirable behavior.
Satrohan

I think that both environments take about the same effort. However, in the online environment, there is more potential for mis-communication, so more effort needs to be taken initially, to set up guidelines for how communication will be handled. Also, the student can potentially have more contact with an online teacher via email than with the teacher in the classroom.

Jean:
Please share your thoughts with me on this scenario and advsie whether you believe that in this situation I describe, the degree of Instructor effort will be about the same.

I am teaching a course in a traditional classroom setting in which the majority of student effort involves problem solving surrounding case studies.

I use the choreographing approach to teach the case studies.
Satrohan

The impetus for this type of question is simple. There is not a physical presence in the e-learning forum. Therefore, we must substitute some entity to compensate for the lack of the face-to-face interaction.

We are hampered by not being able to be a "model" standing in front of the student. We have words of encouragement to be a "motivator." However, we can be the best possible "manager."

Initially, I believed that I could walk into the class and wing it in front of the students. As time goes by, I find myself spending more time thinking about and developing means to convey ideas.

As an adjunct, I have had up to eight classes at three campuses at one time. I taught them in the physical classroom. It was challenging to implement a schedule so that I could retain at least a two-day window of preparation time before the actual class. Once I installed that system, I could spend more time being creative, instead of being a worker bee.

Here is the key element in this issue. The difference in effort is the energy required to dress professionally, provide coherent material and arrive in a timely fashion. For online classes, I find myself developing more visual material and interactive forums to command their attention in the website.

The physical effort has been substituted for more articulate participation in the e-learning environment. The hours of commitment should be the same. If we become slack, the students will discern our lack of commitment. Immediately, we have lost credibility.

CONCLUSION

Our initial duty is to render a well-rounded environment to the student, regardless of the classroom setting. Technology will continue to change the application of education.

I like this line of questioning, pertaining to managerial effort. However, when these type of questions die an ugly death, e-learning will take its rightful in the educational community.

The measure of our success will be the continued growth of the e-learning environment into an "everyday occurrence."

Our initial duty is to render a well-rounded environment to the student, regardless of the classroom setting. Technology will continue to change the application of education.

I like this line of questioning, pertaining to managerial effort.
However, when these type of questions die an ugly death, e-learning will take its rightful in the educational community.

The measure of our success will be the continued growth of the e-learning environment into an "everyday occurrence."

Not having an actual online teaching experience as yet, my response would not be profound, however, after taking this course my opinion is that the effort is equal and may even require more of an effort than in an on ground class. I will be having my first experience in April or May of this year. I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to evolve with the rest of the world. The amount of effort that it takes to produce a top quality product is not important. We all deserve a top quality education and hopefully with your help I will be able to accomplish just that, produce top quality marketable products.

Sylvia:
we all begin somewhere; but with diligence, persistence, perseverance, and a willingness to learn, most of us make it. I began my career in Education as a school teacher in the Elementary Primary School I attended in my village when I was 17 years old---without any teacher training. I can say, all I did was "dish-out" information. This became very apparent after I completed my University Degrees. But those children needed me then. I was committed to not only them but their parents who would come to my doorstep or meet me at social gatherings to inquire about thier children's progress. Yet, with patience, compassion, diligence, persistence, and patience, I was able to work wonders.
Satrohan

Satrohan,
I believe that you must have wonderful stories to tell from which all of us could learn and use something from your unique experience. I have taught primarily in the classroom in an Allied Health environment. In these types of schools often our students have many challenges to face. Sometimes this school is their last chance to prove themselves. They are often single parents trying to go to school, raise their children, and still have to work one or more jobs. These students are unique in that they need to be taught how to be a professional, something that some our universities do not have to deal with as much. There may be lanuguage barriers to overcome as well. These students need a lot of discipline, they need to know exactly what their expectations are, and they certainly need a lot of encouragement and words of praise. I love this environment because I know that I have had an impact on these students and their families futures.

With the online classes I think it takes much more effort to develop a rapport with the students. You must be able to establish trust and confidence by the tone of your e-mails, instruction, etc. I find it to be much more time consuming and challenging to meet the needs of the on-line student.

Managing students in any environment is challenging. In a classroom setting, the face-to-face encounters aid us in personality assessment in a rather short amount of time (sometimes to short). In an on-line environment we do not have the ability to physically see and evaluate the students and their behaviors. We get to know them by their participation and the way they answer questions. Understanding their personalities takes a keener sense than in the classroom setting. Therefore, I believe that it takes as much or more effort to manage e-learners. We cannot see their facial expressions or attitudes to aid us in diagnosing potential problems that the students have. We have to deduce student issues with very little data available to us. Attendence in a classroom setting is easily seen, however, it is not so easy in an on-line environment.

Linda:
I share your sentiments about being a top notch Instructor. I want to comment on thelast paragraph of your response.

Some students in this course claimed that the the effort is just about the same; others claim it is more. I guess students attestations are correlated to their individual situations.

My opinion is that it definitely takes more effort to successfully execute the kinds of transactions you have mentioned with students. In a traditional classroom environment, it is easier to do these things. Continuous dialogue, proper speech, right choice of words, right tone and effective intonations yield wonderful results. Proper body language, expressions, and other relationship building behaviors you exhibit is instant messaging; nothing is left open to interpretation as can be the case with the written word.
Satrohan

Sign In to comment