Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conveying the Difference Between Attendance and Participation

“Attendance versus Participation”

This is a subject for clarification on the first day whether online or in the class. Students have a misconception about Attendance and Participation.

Coming to class or signing on to the online class is "Attendance." Some believe their mere physical presence in the course warrants a grade of 100% for "Participation", because, "I was in class...." This is very indicative of the compare and contrast in commitment levels.

Therefore, before I render a final opinion about this; let us take a moment for introspection. Please remember this exercise, because your class will be a mirror-image of you.

One of my favorite anecdotes or modern parables is the difference in commitment between the pig and the chicken. The chicken contributes eggs to the farmer everyday - then spends the rest of the day, pecking and scratching around the barnyard. The commitment is daily, nonchalant and painless.

The pig makes but one contribution. The farmer wakes up very early one day during the right time of the year with the intent to slaughter the pig. The pig gives of his whole being to participate with the farmer. The pig's commitment is all or nothing!

Without sounding gauche, ask yourself, as an educator, "Am I a chicken or a pig?" "Do I lay an egg in class, everyday or do I give of myself completely?"

Whether you want to answer the question, your students already know the answer! (Think about that for a moment.......) They know who is in the classroom for a check and who is in the classroom to impact lives, positively.

We cannot expect a student to give more in the online classroom than we devote in time and honing of talent. The student will discern whether we are engaged with the online class or looking at the clock. The student will discern whether our responses are the product of thoughtful process or a cut-n-paste from a prior class.

CONCLUSION

“Attendance” is showing up in the classroom prepared for coursework. “Participation” is rendering initial material; receiving feedback; and then substantiation or relegation to a new perspective on the subject du jour. This process is cyclical for each student.

If we approach the class with enthusiasm and salutations to each student, then they will develop a willingness to engage all members of the class. Independently, they will reach for a higher level of understanding of the material. The end result will be a "Participation" mindset - without us wasting time with prompts.

Your anecdote says it all, Lewis. Thank you for the exercise in introspection. I am sure other participants in this course will benefit from this answer as well as the exercise. Your answer has gone beyond the content domain on the Subject in this course; so that is definitely a mark of distinction.
Satrohan

I think of myself as a pig without the slaughter. My students, on the other hand, do lay eggs at times but by giving them encouragement and praise by the end of the course those eggs are made into quit knowledgeable entrées that future employers will be more than willing to add to their menu. I agree that image is very important, however, it is very important for the student to know that you are very approachable. Learners should know that attendance and participation is the key to learning subjects that are being taught.

Lewis, are you teaching on ground as well as online? My first online class is scheduled to begin in April or May of this year and the excitement is growing. If you could give me any suggestions on how to capture learner attention and make them want to attend classes it would be greatly appreciated. Laying eggs, especially routin ones, is not an option.

Hi Sylvia,
What a great sense of humor you have. That alone will carry you a long way in being successful in on-line teaching. I loved your analogy of being "a pig without the slaughter". How true it is that students "lay eggs"
from time to time, but I have found that if you, as the online instructor, actively participates with the students, your students will become actively engaged with you. I have only taught online for a few months, but in that short time I have learned that by giving the student prompt feedback, praise, and a lot of encouragement, your students will enjoy "being in class".

Sylvia:
Prompt and constructive feedback is a primary strategy; especially if it can be done within a 24 hour timeframe. It helps you to maintain your presence and support in the learning experience.
Satrohan

I disagree with this parable. I understand that the Instructor should lead by example, however, it is imperative that we "instruct" our students to understand the difference between attendance annd participation. If you don't participate you do not learn. Learning the material, asking questions, and teaching others, is the goal. We must first teach them how to participate before we can be judged.

I disagree. I think this anecdote should be revised. No student or instructor should be compared to a pig. Also, all students and instructors are different and this situation can not apply to all classroom situations. There is a time and a place to bring a quiet student into the discussion and there is a time and place to bring a quiet instructor into a discussion. Let's consider all the possiblities before we agree on one simple antecdote.

The difference between attendance and participation is different in the traditional classroom and online.

Just coming to class (sitting) is not enough to pass a student. Yes, you are there but how to apply yourself. Did you look out the window all day and did nothing in the time structured for the class or did you actively participate (listened to the lecture, took notes, took the test, etc.)

Online, however, when I sign in doesnot necessarily means I did anything. I could have signed in,let the computer set for hours while I watched my favorite movie on television three times. That does not count as active participation. What qualifies attendance and participation in an e-learning course is the work I completed as directed.

LaTunya:
Thank you for emphasizing the difference between attendance and participation. Please share your thoughts with us on the main Question of this Discussion Forum:

Would students learn as much or more in an online course than they would in the same course delivered in a traditional instructor-led classroom setting? Explain your answer.

Thank you.
Satrohan

I like your comments regarding attendance and participation. The only suggestion I would have is that this topic should not be seen by the student for the first time on the first day of the class. For academic programs, the student should be advised of any attendance / participation policy before the class starts so they fully understand what is expected of them.

An xcellent suggestion, Paul. This should be included in the course description which students should be able to access before they register for the course.
Satrohan

I agree with you. They are so used to the attendance mind set though. I think that if we encourage them to view it as their participation is needed to make the class more enjoyable that it will mean more to them and they will strive to be a larger part of discussions and of assignments. It takes a lot of energy to continue to email students as to where they are at and why they haven't been online in a while. There are so many distractions in the online environment. People need to set priorities and make it their goal to be there no matter what. When they participate they get the most out of the class and benefit others at the same time.

Alanna:
It has been a common trend that learning activities, the completion of which contribute to the learner's final grade, have a higher completion rate. This applies to participation in Discussion forums.

A well-developed course, structured in the right manner, with proper pacing and sequencing, and a road map with adequate transitions from one topic to the next, and other features that promote meaningful learning in an engaging manner should be devoid of distractions. Course developers should emphasize learning activities that contribute to the achievement of the desired learning outcomes; and avoid those that detract the achievement of those learning outcomes.
satrohan

I have told my students, online and on-campus, that if you don't "come" to class, I can't teach you anything. By "coming" to class, I mean mind, body and soul.

Participation is more then just showing up. Many sudents need this explanation. I try to mke sure it is clear from day 1.

They are in the class to learn, if they do not wish to learn, why take the class.

Kim:
Total immersion at the body-mind-soul level is desirable; however, not always acheivable. Your position on participation is on shared by many. Most fo the professors with whom I work are encouraged to clearly specify the level of participation desired in the course in the course syllabus and remind students of this periodically. To the Deans I recommend that the same description of the level of participation should be included in the course description in thecourse catalog so that students are able to comprehend the level of effort desired in this area. This can reduce attrition.
Satrohan

In this module time was spent on the different learning styles. Due to the fact that these styles have an effect on each student's participation performance, how do you weigh the credit each student gets? Do you recommend a straight percentage based on any level of participation? If not, how do you recommend actually judging such a subjective issue?

Melanie:
This is an excellent question. These are my thoughts. One cannot refute th impact on learning styles; however, I have yet to see a course that caters to each student's individual learning style. In a traditional classroom setting, students come with their individual learning styles; yet the instructor chooses delivery strategies to match the group; not the individual learning style of each student. when that instructor grades students, he or she applies the same grading scheme. All instructors with whom I have worked apply the same grading scheme in an online environment---for asignments, individual projects, group projects, participation in discussion forums etc.
Satrohan

Hi Melanie,

I thought about this as well.

I think having a grade or mark for participation will motivate any type of student. It will at least give those quiet ones more of a reason to do so. This can only help then in the long run.

Of course we are not trying to change the type of person they are but a bit of participation never hurts.

Cathleen:
Learning activities that are rewarded will result in higher levels of student involvement.
Satrohan

One of my greatest concerns is not that a student is attending a class, but rather, exactly who is attending the class! How do I know that a student who, as an example, is poor in math actually has someone else take the course under his/her name? Unless we have a blended requirement, we don't know for sure that the person who is registered, is actually the person taking the course. Do we?

Sign In to comment