Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is the desired level of competency for the student?

Can any course be taught online?

Presently, I will have to say, "No." This is a conditional response based upon two realizations:
1. The level of technology in online programs.
2. The expected skills that can be applied after the course.

1 The level of technology in online programs

The multi-media and games design industry have given the educational industry an opportunity to capture the attention and interest of this computer generation. I have witnessed a number of very interactive exercises that use bowling, crossword puzzles, war games, gameshow templates to entertain the user.

If we, as educators, fail to align ourselves with the change in education, we will enable students to fail in teaching them how to perceive and receive techniques for learning new concepts.

We have witnessed the decline in enthusiasm in the classroom at all levels. The education industry needs to employ the same technology that excites the student when they run home to do GameBox and other applications.

Education must walk hand-in-hand with the evolution of the visual arts. Education must be deliverable in each venue available to students:
Blackberry
I-PODs
Text messaging

2. The expected skills that can be applied after the course

Secondly, the educational administrator has to decide what skills can be developed in this online forum. The key to success is to be able to deliver the lesson in each of the three learning styles:
Visual
Auditory
Kinesthetic

The Department of Defense uses simulation techniques that require the use of all senses for success. The education industry needs to make the same type of investment to create a virtual simulation option via the online environment. Some disciplines can be taught very readily.

Humanities and Arts, Math, History, Business, etc. can be taught as in the classroom. These are visual classes that can develop the students' talents. The impasse comes when the discipline requires an inordinate amount of kinesthetic exercises.

It is difficult to teach Mechanics, Surgery, Dentistry, Electronic Maintenance, etc. without having the actual tools in hand. These arts require a tactile quality that cannot be reproduced, currently. (How would you feel about your Dentist never having touched inside of a real mouth…..and you are next?)

Although oxymoronic, the more realistic the virtuality becomes, the easier it will be to address the next challenge for the multi-media and games design industry. "Make it real!"

It is possible that the education industry could partner with the other industry to contribute to the research and development of these future tools. This would cut down the cost of the programs for the education industry.

This brings us full-circle back to the original conditional response. As the technology becomes available the percentage of classes that can be delivered in the online environment will increase, exponentially.

Lewis:
Your answer is quite elaborate; yet to the point. I have nothing more to add as you have demonstrated indepth knowledge of the issue.

Lewis, there is nothing else to be added to you answer. Thank you.

Agreed. Sylvia. Lewis provided a very comprehensive answer. You may also want to review his answer to the topic-----"getting to Know Your Students".
Satrohan

Satrohan, yes you were very comprehensive in your assessment of today's virtual student and on point. Again as curriculum designers and instructors partnering with the games and IT industry will help us to incorporate and utilized applications already out there for our classes such as encoders.

Actually Paula, the comprehensive answer was offered by a student whose name is Lewis Alston. He has composed some invigorating answers to other Discussion questions in the forum. I encourage you to read them.
Satrohan

I am looking forward to reading some of Lewis's other responses. I currently know instructors in Medical Assisting and Surical Technicians that would love to be able to teach online. However, as Lewis has explained there is no way to currently simulate the different techniques that these two courses of study would require. Does anybody have any ideas how these technologies may be able to be taught in the (near) future?

Linda:
I am a firm believer in a few characteristics of the human being. One is that mind controls all five senses; hence, I would really like to see how someone can build simulations to enable learners to achieve the same results that are driven by the mind-brain connection.

Way back in 1982, many learning technologists preached about the achievements of Intelligent Tutoring Systems by year 1992. I have not seen any of these, if they ever materialized, being implemented.

So your question is an excellent one.

Thank you for your input - on track and very concise. Totally agree.

In the past I would have said no. However, I think that "almost" all classes could be taught on line. It depends on the online format of course and the dedication of the school to the new available technologies. My answer to this question is officially "Yes". I do believe that many if not all types of course can be taught online.

You bring up a good point of the characteristics of a human being. I also like your example about Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Good point.

Teya:
The dedication of the educational institution towards learning technologies is one issue. The costs students are likely to incur to equip their learning workstations with such learning technologies is an additional factor. More important sre the costs and time associated with designing and developing courses that have to employ high level learning technologies. And of course, we have to consider that we would neve be able to replicate psychomotor skills in an online learning environment.
Satrohan

Teya:
My rsearch on intelligent tutoring systems go way back to 1984. Please do a search for a book called "Intelligent Tutoring Systems". I do not recall the name of the author(s). I do however, recall that one of the systems could have been developed to teach quadratic equations.
Satrohan

Why can't we replicate psychomotor skills in an online learning environment?

Teya

Teya:
The acquisition of psychomotor skills can involve the use of senses to make complex decisions and receive feedback. While we may be able to simulate the decision making process; we may not be able to simulate the feedback. Flight simulators are examples of situations that come very close to teaching psychomotor skills; however, as simulations, they cannot achieve th same results as if one were being trained on the real system. For a more indepth understanding, you may want to explore the concept of proprioceptive feedback.
Satrohan

Lewis,

You have hit the topic perfectly. I teach in a career college. Many of our medical students would love to be i our online program but are allowed to only take sepcific classes due to the clinical skills they must posess for their field.

if education could find a willing partner to help devlop a way for students to do some of thses online, it would be a major break for the distance education field. However, I think some things are just better taught in person.

Technolofy is a mavelous thing, but not everything can be learn on a computer or by reading. some sills must be taught in person and hands-on.

Kim Verneuille

Kim:
I believe the consequences of error in the medical field could be very grave; hence, I agree that not all the content of these courses can be taught in an online environment. Teaching clinical skills in an online environment is not in my opinion a perfect substitute. The hands-on component would be missing.
Satrohan

I teach in a career college for allied health professionals. The program I teach is health information technology where the students will interact with an electronic health record (EHR).

In the course one of the subjects is telemedicine so when you speak of technology and the need for students to be taught in person, where will your students get that health technology exposure.

In today's healthcare environment, everything is technology driven but I do feel the personal touch is still needed. What would be great if programs could have the patient dummies that are connected to an EHR allowing the student that type of technology exposure. Unfortunately, in education cost is always the common denominator for having limited equipment.

Patricia,
I work in an allied health school, also. I think your vision of the electronic 'dummies' will come someday, but as you indicated, the cost is currently prohibitive. I like your insights about the telemedicine.

There is one university in Liberty, MO that has one. It is impressive but I was afraid to ask the cost. Unfortunately, they only had one for over 60 students so that tells you the cost right there.

It is not just the cost to purchase but the cost for updates and maintenance has to factor in as well.

Sign In to comment