Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can any course be taught online?

Are there some courses that cannot be effectively taught online? Justify your answer.

I was of the opinion until just recently. I have reviewed a text for online courses for health sciences. I was amazed that the Univ of Maryland School of Nursing has online teaching and the text discussed how even hands-on were monitored by videocam and live web conferencing. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for what I teach and I will be following their model closely.

Your message of Introduction to me clarifies the position you have taken in regards to the question being addressed. The hybrid approach to teaching content of the nature of your courses is the best.

I have worked with quite a few universities to launch online programs in the field of Health sciences. Among these are Sargent College of Boston University who have launched a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy and a Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy. Then there are Vanderbilt University and George Washington University who have launched programs in Health Care Management. George Washington University has launched an MBA in Health Care Management. The Vanderbilt Program is geared more towards Nurses who want to pursue management positions.

Not all courses can be taught online in totality. The achievement of the competencies relevant to certain professions often requires face-to-face sessions aw well as laboratory exercises that require the use of actual systems and equipment. While hands-on can be monitored by videocam technology, having learners engage in the psychomotor skills necessary to verify that they can actually perform the tasks on-the-job remains vital. I have worked with one institution of which one of its colleges refused to place its program online because it was felt that the credibility of the program would suffer. The field here is Pharmacology and Health Sciences. This is quite understandable as one of the concerns expressed was how comfortable potential employers would be about hiring a professionals in this field who have taken their academic programs online.

Then again, I have worked with Institutions who have launched MBA online programs in which students complete the theory-based content as well as research activities—even group projects from a distance before they participate in a few weeks learning activities on site at the university.

So, Marcia, in conclusion, your judgment is correct; not all courses lend themselves well to online learning.

I have been teaching Economics online for over 5 years, and while my discipline does lend itself to online instruction, I am fully aware that not all disciplines/topics should be delivered entirely online. There are some topics that are much more effectively conveyed in a live environment. Many such disciplines have begun combining methods, with hybrid courses that involve both online interaction and live attendance. When possible, this is an ideal structure to facilitate adult learning and/or career training.

I agree. With the advent of e-learning, some institutions strive to place all courses of programs online; even though, as you pointed out, the content of some courses may not lend itself to the requisite instructional treatment to facilitate meaningful learning experiences in an online environment. The end result in such situations is that those institutions receive course evaluation results which point to student dissatisfaction.

On the other hand, I have worked with Instructors in the Pharmacology and Health Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, and similar fields who adopt a combination of on-the-ground classroom delivery and online learning.

Now having said this, one has to examine the primary reason for some Institutions placing the entire program online. The primary reason seems to be driven by increasing enrollments by reaching out to a wider geographical audience, at the national as well as the international level. The hybrid approach is successful an institution targets students who live within reasonable traveling distance to the institution.

Of course, some argue that modern telecommunication technologies, video-conferencing, for example, can approximate the learning experience of classroom environments. I do not believe so as the adoption of some of these technologies introduce factors which work against one of the main proponents of online learning—the ability to participate in learning activities at any time once one has access to the Internet. The human presence in a traditional classroom environment is essential to promote a wide range of learning outcomes that cannot be successfully replicated nor measured in an online environment.

In conclusion, I want to share with you a decision one Dean of one institution with whom I worked made when he was given the mandate to place his entire program online. He maintained that the credibility of his program will suffer. I agreed with him because we were looking at a professional degree in healthcare, the learning outcomes of which were primarily performance-based rather than knowledge-based.

I think that practical classes such as Personal Training or Emergency Medical Technician classes can be hard to teach online. For the book and content material it would be a little easier but for the practical evaluation of skills I would think that it would be hard for an individual to grasp what they are doing. It is also hard to receive the proper instruction on how to do things correctly or how not to do things.

I agree, Charles. I have shared below some of my experiences and thoughts on this question.

My sincere apologies for the delay in responding. I was away last week in the U.S. to conduct training. I alloted yesterday to respond; however, I experienced problems with my ISP.

I have worked with quite a few universities to launch online programs in the field of Health sciences. Among these are Sargent College of Boston University who have launched a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy and a Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy. Then there are Vanderbilt University and George Washington University who have launched programs in Health Care Management. George Washington University has launched an MBA in Health Care Management. The Vanderbilt Program is geared more towards Nurses who want to pursue management positions.

Not all courses can be taught online in totality. The achievement of the competencies relevant to certain professions often requires face-to-face sessions aw well as laboratory exercises that require the use of actual systems and equipment. While hands-on can be monitored by videocam technology, having learners engage in the psychomotor skills necessary to verify that they can actually perform the tasks on-the-job remains vital. I have worked with one institution of which one of its colleges refused to place its program online because it was felt that the credibility of the program would suffer. The field here is Pharmacology and Health Sciences. This is quite understandable as one of the concerns expressed was how comfortable potential employers would be about hiring a professionals in this field who have taken their academic programs online.

Then again, I have worked with Institutions who have launched MBA online programs in which students complete the theory-based content as well as research activities—even group projects from a distance before they participate in a few weeks learning activities on site at the university.

So, Charles, in conclusion, your judgment is correct; not all courses lend themselves well to online learning.

As an online instructor I can say yes. Mathematical and statistical courses are difficult to teac online since you must demonstrate theorems and proofs. These courses may be better taught in an interactive environment where the instructor can gauge understanding. Certainly, as technology develops, even these courses may find a home online.

In my field, Quality Systems Management, most of the theory can be taught completely on-line. However, one of the most significant aspects of the program I work in is the real-time and personal collegial discussions that occur in the classroom. I have been on Discussion/Forum Boards and in chat rooms, but there is something about face-to-face interchange that stimulates differently. I want to become more proficient in teaching/facilitating on-line courses because I really do see great advantages when potential students cannot be in one location.

Jennie

In my 32+ year career in law enforcement, I was involved in delivering some classes which I don't feel could be delivered online. These would include firearms training and weapons courses, hand-to-hand combat, and authentic scenario responses.

I do feel that most other types of classes can be delivered online with appropriate resources and effective faculty.

Denzil Verardo, Ph.D.

In short, yes, however some courses are better suited for in-class. Examples of this include, as others have mentioned, where an individual or especially a team has to manipulate a physical object (a laboratory experiment, a physical design project) in order to accomplish the learning task. Alternate exercises can be constructed using media and simulation, but I think they result in excess cost and time and aren't as effective.

As technology advances, there may come a time where all courses can be taught on-line. The creativity involved to keep courses in an action learning format may evolve to a degree that makes the on line medium an enjoyable exercise that encourages more research and understanding.

However, currently there are some courses that may need a blended approach to learning, especially given the fact that one of the key success factors on in the willingness of students to fully participate in the on line learning environment, and the evolving skill level of those students.

One of the more interesting challenges seems to lie in programs where teams are involved. CMS challenges still exist that allows for a smoother break out of teams and the reporting of their work when key components must be met, but the presentation of the work takes on a different subject matter.

Hi All,
I agree with your observations about some of the challenges of delivering and managing some types of instructional transactions in an online environment. These are some of my thoughts on the subject that I would like to share with you.

With the advent of e-learning, some institutions strive to place all courses of programs online; even though, as you pointed out, the content of some courses may not lend itself to the requisite instructional treatment to facilitate meaningful learning experiences in an online environment. The end result in such situations is that those institutions receive course evaluation results which point to student dissatisfaction. As a matter of fact, I have seen course evaluation data in which these statements were typical:

• The text book did a better job than the online lecture.

• The online lecture is an electronic page-turner.

On the other hand, I have worked with Instructors in the Pharmacology and Health Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, and similar fields who adopt a combination of on-the-ground classroom delivery and online learning.

Now having said this, one has to examine the primary reason for some Institutions placing the entire program online. The primary reason seems to be driven by increasing enrollments by reaching out to a wider geographical audience, at the national as well as the international level. The hybrid approach is successful an institution targets students who live within reasonable traveling distance to the institution.

Of course, some argue that modern telecommunication technologies, video-conferencing, for example, can approximate the learning experience of classroom environments. I do not believe so as the adoption of some of these technologies introduce factors which work against one of the main proponents of online learning—the ability to participate in learning activities at any time once one has access to the Internet. The human presence in a traditional classroom environment is essential to promote a wide range of learning outcomes that cannot be successfully replicated nor measured in an online environment.

In conclusion, I want to share with you a decision one Dean of one institution with whom I worked made when he was given the mandate to place his entire program online. He maintained that the credibility of his program will suffer. I agreed with him because we were looking at a professional degree in healthcare, the learning outcomes of which were primarily performance-based rather than knowledge-based.
Satrohan

Good question. With todays technology I can't think of one that could not. Grpahics, and computer technology allow the design to simulate enarly any interaction, thus negating the need for in person learning.

Any course can be taught on line. With proper equipment that would allow the instructor to interact with the students in real time and have an assistant with each student. Since this is not a reasonable way to run a class or a school. I think the better question is should every class be made available on line. With an on line class you loose the face to face interaction with not only the instructor but the other students. When you only respond by e-mail you never hear what someone thinks about a question until a lot of thought has gone into the answer. This may make the answer better but you will never get the passion or feeling of that answer. You also need to think about what type of learner's you have in your class. This is why hybrid classes may offer the best of both worlds when teaching a class where tactile skills are a large part of the class.

Scott:
Your answer points to several factors we should consider when we are deciding to make courses available in an online environment. Having read your response, I have concluded that you are in favor of online learning provided that:

• The technology supports student-instructor interaction.

• Students obtain support and feedback in a timely manner.

• Psychomotor skills should be taught using a hybrid approach.

It is quite true that in an online environment we lose the dynamism and synergy arising out of dialogue and discussions in real time. The dynamism is definitely lost; however, the synergy may not be totally lost-----just delayed. Students can share their thoughts about questions with other students, instructors and guest lecturers through asynchronous discussions. When students participate in asynchronous discussions and monitor them on a daily basis, they are exposed to a wider range of knowledge that is likely to evolve from a timed classroom session. Moreover, they have more time to read and assimilate other students' responses as well as those of the instructor or teaching assistant.

Your point about the type of learner in the class is well taken; however, I would like to pint out that much of what has been written about catering to the different learning styles of learners does not hold much water when budgetary and time constraints come into play---and they do have a significant impact on all online learning programs driven by profitability.
Satrohan

I think that most subjects can be taught in an online environment, however, there are certain aspects such as in the medical fields that require hand on experience to really learn the material. So, I believe a mix of both online and in-person training can be most effective for teaching certain subjects vs relying only on online education.

Some learning is experiential in nature, and is best learned in person.

Jean:
Your position on experiential learning is well taken. I would like you to share your thoughts on this scenario.

Suppose you are tasked with rolling out an online course nationally, the learning outcomes of which are theory based as well as experiential driven. What measures will you take to ensure that learners are given the appropriate learning experience? What measures will you take to ensure that the learning outcomes are adequately evaluated?
Satrohan

At the beginning of my instruction it was not apparent to me that online courses were of the quality that one would desire. After reading the replies to your question it seems to me that all disciplines and topics can be taught in hybrid courses. Online for theory and on site for practical aspects of training would be a plus. Many universities in the area are offering such online courses and have successful graduates.

Satrohan, online can be effective in all disciplines and topics with a combination of on ground training.

Being a teacher in the Medical field, I do not believe that every course can be taght online. I do believe that there may be facets of a course that can, but some lab classes must be taught in a classroom setting. Chemistry labs, physics labs, labs in Medical Assisting dealing with injections and phlebotomy would not work well online due to the equipment needed and the dangers of having an inexperienced individual handling some of this equipment, without supervision. The didactic portion of the learning can surely be presented in an online format. However, the actual experiments and hands-on techniques must be done in a classroom setting with a knowledgable instructor.

Sign In to comment